Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh Oh.......

Options
And I'm going in hungry!!!!!
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    THAT is dangerous.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    And.?.?.?.?.?.?  What was the bill??? :D
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Very disappointing. 112. Went in with big plans and came out with nothing but the basics. Wanted a brisket for Sunday but they didn't have any. Going to look at SRF pricing and what it will cost to have it here by Saturday but am nervous to spend that kind of cash in my first attempt. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very disappointing. 112. Went in with big plans and came out with nothing but the basics. Wanted a brisket for Sunday but they didn't have any. Going to look at SRF pricing and what it will cost to have it here by Saturday but am nervous to spend that kind of cash in my first attempt. 
    Its just money....pull the string...it only hurts when you tell the wife. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    YOLO

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tikigriller
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Livermore California. Bay Area. 

Livermore, California
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    You should have no trouble getting an SRF quickly.  If you were close I would give you one as I have a couple in the garage freezer.  With the addition of the appropriate tax of course.  That being a sampling of the finished product.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I've turned walmart brisket into food gold!

• tikigriller
    Options
    Ok. So here is what I did get that was better than just the basics. 

So so how do I cook these???  The trip tip ones. First time I have bought these. 

Livermore, California
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    why the hell did they cut the tri tip up!?

I'd dust em with a good salt and fresh cracked pepper over a very hot.. 500-600 degree fire. Direct.

Cook to desired doneness. I pull at 120 myself and allow for carry over.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tikigriller
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

I'd dust em with a good salt and fresh cracked pepper over a very hot.. 500-600 degree fire. Direct.

I was wondering the same thing, but they looked interesting!!  Wonder how it ould be cubed and cooked up like burnt ends.

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options

Done........SRF Brisket delivering Friday.  What the hell....it's only money, right!?!?!?!?!  And all of you are NO HELP at all to this addiction!!!!

Now off to do some research on how to cook this thing and hope I don't kill my $180 I just spent (After shipping express)

Livermore, California
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

I was wondering the same thing, but they looked interesting!!  Wonder how it ould be cubed and cooked up like burnt ends.
    dry... chewy...

they are a lean cut, despite the marbling.

Tri Tip will dry out, reverse sear for a large roast.

Those steaks need hot and quick. Look for "newport steaks" online. Same cut- normally cut across the grain.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Caveman--salt, 120-125. cracked pepper after.  Stand next to the egg and sop up the board juices. Cold adult beverage--sharing with others--optional.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Cooking on the egg takes time and experience to get it down pat.  I would have suggested you not go to SRF so early, but hey, you only live once right? But seriously, don't expect perfection this early in your egg experiences and don't give up if things aren't as you thought they would be.  My very first rack of ribs was so bad my dogs LITERALLY wouldn't eat them.  That is definitely no longer the case.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I'm gonna take my own thread another direction as that just reminded me of something I had been overthinking. 

Cutting boards...plastic or wood and why or makes no difference at all?

Livermore, California
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm gonna take my own thread another direction as that just reminded me of something I had been overthinking. 

Wood, maple end grade.  Paging @fishlessman.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options

You don't want a cutting board.  You want a heavy, thick, chopping block.  I bought this one and love it, but make sure you oil it first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351806529307?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

I'd fear they'd be tuff as burnt ends. Id cook them like sirloins. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • FATC1TY
    Options

no difference to your food..

your knives? sure..

I've got a bunch of nice knives like Shun that are dulled and chipped from throwing into a granite sink and using on granite with a plastic board.

My food however- doesn't care.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Hub said:
    Cooking on the egg takes time and experience to get it down pat.  I would have suggested you not go to SRF so early, but hey, you only live once right? But seriously, don't expect perfection this early in your egg experiences and don't give up if things aren't as you thought they would be.  My very first rack of ribs was so bad my dogs LITERALLY wouldn't eat them.  That is definitely no longer the case.

I definitely think I am getting cocky fast!!  LOL. Everything has turned out so good and everything keeps getting better. My best success has come directly from following someone's lead, so I think I can pull it off. The good news, is my palett is not very refined, so even if it is not perfect, we will probably enjoy it. Have orders to do the burnt ends too, so this will be a full on challenge!!

Livermore, California
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Hub said:

I definitely think I am getting cocky fast!!  LOL. Everything has turned out so good and everything keeps getting better. My best success has come directly from following someone's lead, so I think I can pull it off. The good news, is my palett is not very refined, so even if it is not perfect, we will probably enjoy it. Have orders to do the burnt ends too, so this will be a full on challenge!!
    whats the love for burnt ends? If you aren't using a quality brisket and do it right, you'll miss the mark..

You'll miss the mark by wasting the point for burnt ends in my humble opinion. Choice or Prime, or even Wagyu. The point of a brisket is quite honestly the finest portion on beef you can slow cook. I won't call it the best, but it's so far up there it's hard to argue which 10 point model to take home.

Yes, I live in Georgia.. But I'm from Central Texas and raised, and I'd like to think burnt ends are a travesty, if anything but a novelty. So give 'em a go, but don't say I didn't warn ya once you try a heavenly slice of moist/fatty and wonder why you wasted it in a foil pan!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tikigriller
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Hub said:

whats the love for burnt ends? If you aren't using a quality brisket and do it right, you'll miss the mark..

You'll miss the mark by wasting the point for burnt ends in my humble opinion. Choice or Prime, or even Wagyu. The point of a brisket is quite honestly the finest portion on beef you can slow cook. I won't call it the best, but it's so far up there it's hard to argue which 10 point model to take home.

Yes, I live in Georgia.. But I'm from Central Texas and raised, and I'd like to think burnt ends are a travesty, if anything but a novelty. So give 'em a go, but don't say I didn't warn ya once you try a heavenly slice of moist/fatty and wonder why you wasted it in a foil pan!
    I am probably going to end up believing you, as obviously you are much more in tune with this world than I, but if I don't do burnt ends for my wife now that she knows they come from a brisket after cooking for 15 hours or however long this will take, she will probably make me sleep on the couch after moving it outside.   I promise to not do them on the next one, because I really want you to be right for me as well!!!  

Hope me that makes sense. 

Livermore, California
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options

Done........SRF Brisket delivering Friday.  What the hell....it's only money, right!?!?!?!?!  And all of you are NO HELP at all to this addiction!!!!

Now off to do some research on how to cook this thing and hope I don't kill my $180 I just spent (After shipping express)
    Glad we could help =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,367
    Options
    Two weeks ago I had my first two cart day at Costco.......dropped 5 Benjamin's that day. Need to buy more of their stock. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My usual Costco bill is close to 200 that's just groceries diapers ect... weekly
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options

Glad we could help =)
    See what fine folks we are.--you aint seen nothing yet. Wait until you start tinkering with the idea of a new patio. You might as well plan on creating living quarters outside--permanently 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just an FYI- the SRF brisket will be frozen solid when you get it. Typically I like to plan at least 3-4 days to defrost in the fridge.  You can do a cold water thaw or cook it from frozen or partially frozen I suppose.  Just my $.02 but I would plan this cook for next Saturday. 

That tri-tip looks good. I wouldn't try burnt ends with it though. Treat it like a steak (not a brisket).  Hell I could be wrong that one looks pretty well marbled, but the consensus is that tri-tip is cooked like a steak. 

One more option on burnt ends from the brisket is you can always use leftovers if you think you will have them.  Slice the brisket "texas style" for the initial servings, and then cube up some leftover point for burnt ends the next day.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

If you want to make brunt ends without a brisket, try a chuck roast.  Lot more fat and it comes out pretty good.  I am cooking an 18 pounder this weekend after I trim it and I may add a point to cook for just burnt ends.  Also cooking 3 slabs of ribs and some chicken for a family reunion Sunday.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.