Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

amount of charcoal burning

Options
It seem like only the inside 2/3rds of the charcoal in the egg burns and the outer third ring stays un used.  Is this common?
new to the egg and using their starter swatches.  Temp seems ok

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome! Not unusual at all. Here's one of my cooks from a few years ago. After 18 hrs, I removed the meat and shut it down. The center pic is what was left.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Very little charcoal is used to keep a temp of <300-400F in the BGE.  After a long low & slow, you'll sometimes see that a corner has burned rather than the center.  This can especially happen on an XL where the firebox is so large in diameter, yet shallow.  The fire will move around--but it's best if it does what you described.  Burn from the middle, then the out pieces settle toward the center.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes, it's totally  normal nothing  to worry about. This is my charcoal  after 17 hours.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    In most charcoal cookers all of the charcoal is being hit by incoming air. In an egg the air comes in bottom center, and you have complete control of the amount of air coming inside. 
    Check your inbox.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,493
    Options
    BGE is an air-flow driven machine.  Once you get a fire going the amount of air-flow determines the size of the fire.  For low&slows as in the pics above, you have a small amount of lump burning at any one time.  The fire follows the fuel but since the air-flow is in thru the bottom vent and then thru the lump bed and out the top that area will burn first but over time the fire will move thru the entire load if you run it long enough.
    So, this leads to smoke wood placement-concentrate it throughout the lump load starting in the center (top-to bottom) and radiating outward focusing more toward the back.
    And that's way more than enough for a first post response.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Ask away as you will get lots of help and also realize there are many ways to get the results you want.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.