Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tornado

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
http://www.standard.net/Local/2016/09/22/Tornado-briefly-touches-down-in-Riverdale-weather-service-says

Ugly green cloud and 50-knot winds when I left the gym yesterday, 8" branch hit the street in front of me (was able to drive around it, but 5 seconds later my cloth convertible top may have been severely tested)!  My 15-minute commute home took 90 minutes, and I crossed the tornado's path once, saw how it extended towards the northeast, across the river and up to Washington Terrace, right about where... MY house was!
Finally got home, lots of branches down but no real damage other than my wifi router being fried.  I grabbed some tools and gloves and headed south (my next-door-neighbor, a cop, said the funnel passed just one block south of us).  When I got there, they were evacuating the area due to gas leaks and powerlines down.  Been pouring rain all day today; learned that it was only down a couple minutes, maybe a dozen homes wrecked.  
I was born in Kansas and grew up in South Dakota, have seen many tornadoes, but this is the first time the damage landed so close to home.  Utard had its first tornado, ever, in 2009; yesterday we had two, and today two funnels (they didn't touch down).  Amazing how global warming is changing the weather patterns everywhere.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nah, it's the fracking.

glad you're safe.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It could have been worse.  It could have been a Sharknado!   I'm glad you're fine.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Glad your safe, tornados are amazingly destructive.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Remeber, according to California it's the cow farts.. Not the vehicles or generalized industrialization.

glad you're ok.. I've unfortunately been up close and personal with 4 tornadoes .. First 2 I was too young too remember.. Just know what my parents have told me; the last 2 i remember...

I was in my truck when the edge of one went through the intersection I was waiting to go through; it moved my truck sideways a bit but no damage to me... The convenience site next to me had the roof ripped off.

next one one I went through I literally had just had back surgery and was on the phone with my then gf... She was watching it come down the road I lived on (on radar).. Knocked 4 trees down, one fell on the front porch

Again Glad you and your family are ok, and had no major damage .
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Been through a few hurricanes but never a tornado.  A coworker's house got leveled not too far from me in Westwego.  We checked it out, the bedroom was gone.  Good thing she was at her daughter's at the time.
    Options
    Botch said:
    Utard had its first tornado, ever, in 2009; yesterday we had two, and today two funnels (they didn't touch down).   
    I learned this morning that this isn't true; Utard does get a couple tornadoes every year, but they're almost always out in the remote, unpopulated areas.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Utard had its first tornado, ever, in 2009; yesterday we had two, and today two funnels (they didn't touch down).   
    I learned this morning that this isn't true; Utard does get a couple tornadoes every year, but they're almost always out in the remote, unpopulated areas.  
    Are you trying to tell me that as we populate more area and disturb natural waterways and such we might exponentially increase the odds and the resulting damage from these naturally occurring events? Kinda like building a city below sea level, on the sea???? What could possibly go wrong here? You might not what to spread this vile propaganda. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Been thru a few in my 40+ years...  Watched out my window as one passed between the house and the backside of Stone Mountain, knocking about 3 of my pine trees into each other enough so they tangled up and locked together instead of falling in the house. 

Next was on an interstate in MS. Nothing but trees on each side. Dark clouds and storming when it rolled across the interstate about 100 yards in front of me. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Glad you are safe. Have seen close hand the detestation they deliver, fortunate to not have been in the path. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow