Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
I've cooked a few briskets, but this 1 is by far the longest one I've  ever cooked. It's going on 17 hours.  
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Lose the electrodes and crank the temp
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    All about that cow! The ones I get around here usually take me 16-18

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I thought  about removing  the flame boss. My guest aren't gonna be here for a few  more hours, so I'm gonna  wait it out.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Stay the course- it's all about the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  You are in this one too deep to short-cut it now.  Patience is the watch-word.  
    Don't know your local time but if EDT you can let it ride and get to an early Weds lunch with a solid FTC procedure.  FWIW-
    Edit: the above implies Alaska or Hawaii (since it's dang near 7 PM on the left coast). (What weight post-trim and what temp have you been running for the cook?)  Depending on that, find something you can grill or order pizza-don't hose the brisket cook.
    Edit again: Just saw the signature location-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g37
    Options
    My last  brisket  was 12 lbs and it took about 10 or so hours. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hope it's good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • g37
    Options
    I wanted 2 cook a bigger brisket. The last 1 I cooked most of my friends ate it. I wanna have some left over for chili and maybe pizza.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    Options
    It's smells good. Oh well if its not I'll just put some bbq sauce on it and call it good. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @lousubcap. I live on Oahu, it's about 4 pm now.  I'm kinda new to the BBQ world and the egg. I've had my egg for about 2 1/2 years now. I didn't and don't trim my briskets. I really  don't how or what I would trim. I've  watched some videos on trimming  but I'm not that patient. I've been cooking  my brisket  at 225. It weighed in at 15.5 lbs.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here are a few things you can do to likely punch this home-note your current temp in the thick flat, if you are thru the stall and are willing to sacrifice the bark warp in foil with some (a few ounces) of beef broth and dial it up to the 325-350*F range.  Check in around an hour to see how it feels and then adjust from there.  
    Get some heavy pupu's and once you get the brisket feel-let it sit on a cooling rack until ready to slice and eat on demand.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    BTW- better to be lucky than good any day- Hawaii- as good as it gets for sure.  You've got this.
  • g37
    Options
    @lousubcap its actual almost  done. The internal temp is  around  196 and it's  probing  really  soft. I'm gonna wrap it soon and let hanging out in my cooler for 2 or so hours. I've got alot time  before friends show up. The only bad thing  is  I got no beer. My friend with the beer is stuck in traffic.  At least I got my forum  friends to keep company.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    Options
    No beer- you need an intervention ;)
    Congrats as I'm sure it will quite the time-can't have a bad day in paradise.  Matter of fact, I am live streaming KCCN FM 100.3 out of Honolulu right now. 

• g37
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @lousubcap. I'd  have 2 say weather wise u can't beat Hawaii.  There many things I see on this forum that aren't  available  here. Not to mention  shipping anything  here is expensive. I'm so jealous  of all the different  cuts  meat that are available  to u folks.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    g37 said:
    @lousubcap. I'd  have 2 say weather wise u can't beat Hawaii.  There many things I see on this forum that aren't  available  here. Not to mention  shipping anything  here is expensive. I'm so jealous  of all the different  cuts  meat that are available  to u folks.  

The struggle is real. lol

Enjoy your friends and your briski @g37

Phoenix