Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Brisket Storage Question

Options
I pulled my SRF brisket from the freezer Sunday evening in preparation for an overnight tonight.  It has been thawing in the refrigerator since then.  As it turns out, I was mistaken on the date for my neighbors' son's birthday dinner.  I'm exactly one week early.  Should I plan to go ahead and cook it as planned and get another brisket locally for next week, or is it safe to store the (still cryovac) meat for 10 days?

Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I would say it will be just fine left in the fridge for 10 days..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You're fine in the fridge until you're ready to cook in 10 days.  It's wet aging.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great excuse for two brisket cooks but the reality is as above for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks for this, everyone.

@lousubcap I really like how you think.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Just cooked my brisket a few days ago that's been in the fridge the last 20-30 days
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the very reason for cryo is to extend sell-by dates.

FWIW, Alton Brown openly admits to keeping beef in cryop for 6 to 8 weeks.  call it "wet aging" and you'll feel better about it, because that's what it is

;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]