Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF NW Prime New York Strip. Spoiler Alert...delicious!

Options
Got a delivery from SRF this week and today was the day for steak. 

1.Tried a new seasoning today "Special ****" and some garlic. 
2. Got the egg ready to 250 used royal oak and two pecan chunks
3. Smoked until one steak was 120 for my wife and mine was 110. Tracking using my CyberQ
4. Let rest for 20 minutes
5. Had cast iron ready on my gas grill so that I could go ahead and put ribs on the egg for tomorrow's dinner. 
6. Seared for a minute each side with butter in the pan. 
7. My wife made veggies on the gas grill and homemade cowboy butter with homegrown parsley, red pepper flakes, and garlic. 
8. Incredible steak. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Home run. The veggie skewers look as good as the beautiful steak. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Great looking steak

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Bravo, Bravo.  Great looking steaks and meal.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup!  Nice brother!  Makes me hungry.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Most eggcellent-a rare talent to get SWMBO actively involved.  With those results and her engagement your SRF future should be unbounded.  Go forth and enjoy-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Most eggcellent-a rare talent to get SWMBO actively involved.  With those results and her engagement your SRF future should be unbounded.  Go forth and enjoy-  
    This one truly made me laugh out loud. I had to google SWMBO.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Damn, that looks good. I need to stay off this site before bedtime.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Wow, home run on all points... I would say "well done" but that would be a mixed message on that beautiful rare steak.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Man I could go for a plate of that right now. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow.  That looks incredible.  Great job!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Looks so good.  Although I'm just getting done with breakfast I could go for that right now!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Wow, home run on all points... I would say "well done" but that would be a mixed message on that beautiful rare steak.
    Now if we were at a restaurant my wife would order a medium steak but at home she loves it like this. 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That looks like some tasty ****!!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic looking meal.. Home run!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic I was really pleased with the seasoning. With a name like that it deserves a try. 
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Outstanding work!  
    VA Beach
  • BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    That's a winner!  Looks good.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic I was really pleased with the seasoning. With a name like that it deserves a try. 
    I live not far from where they make their seasonings.  The Special **** is one of my go to seasonings.  They also make Chicken **** which has a little italian seasoning, and the Good **** which is a little sweeter.  I recommend all of them.  The Bull **** is supposed to be the spicy blend, but tastes more just like cayenne pepper.  It is not bad, but I wasnt impressed.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Wow home run... Great cook sir.
    Seattle, WA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!  WOW that thing looks great!!!

And I've NEVER seen a sous vide steak that had been seared at all that looked more edge-to-edge perfect, and many that actually had a much thicker line of gray beef.  I might try sous vide, sometime, but it won't be for steaks!  That is gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS!!!
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    @Theophan I really appreciate all the kind words. I really do. Those steaks had some serious flavor and I'm thrilled with how they finished. If some people weren't believers in reverse searing I would hope this would sway them. 
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    @jak7028 I was driving through Texas on my way from Houston to Dallas and stopped for gas and saw these seasonings and the names made me laugh. I figured if someone was that creative they deserved a shot. I'm glad I bought them. I'll definitely have to try more of them. Have you tried their Dip **** yet or BBQ ****?
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    @jak7028 I was driving through Texas on my way from Houston to Dallas and stopped for gas and saw these seasonings and the names made me laugh. I figured if someone was that creative they deserved a shot. I'm glad I bought them. I'll definitely have to try more of them. Have you tried their Dip **** yet or BBQ ****?
    I liked the names also, and they are made at the "big **** ranch."  Usually brands like that are funny, but not the best seasonings.  The special **** and chicken **** are 2 of my standard seasonings I use though.  

I haven't tried those yet.  I have had their salsa.  It is decent, but more heat than flavor.  I am pretty spoiled on good salsas though.  You can order online at their website.  I have sent the "box of ****" to people as a gift on several occasions.  I misspoke above, it is the aw **** that I wasn't impressed with, I have not tried the bull ****.  

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    I liked the names also, and they are made at the "big **** ranch."  Usually brands like that are funny, but not the best seasonings.  The special **** and chicken **** are 2 of my standard seasonings I use though.  

I haven't tried those yet.  I have had their salsa.  It is decent, but more heat than flavor.  I am pretty spoiled on good salsas though.  You can order online at their website.  I have sent the "box of ****" to people as a gift on several occasions.  I misspoke above, it is the aw **** that I wasn't impressed with, I have not tried the bull ****.  

My go to seasonings have been some of the Dizzy Pig (Dizzy Dust, Raging River, etc) family of seasonings. They are a pretty good base. For steak a lot of times I love using McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning. I love their salt and pepper combo and the courseness of it. It's good and simple.