Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found Money

Options
About 3 weeks ago our neighborhood news letter suggested we check with the Texas Unclaimed Property office to see if we might have some property or money due us. 

I've checked in the past in Texas and other states we've lived in and didn't expect to find anything but I did find an uncle in Mississippi who was due about $40 from his Telephone Company deposit from decades back. 

I also found another McMillin here in Texas that I know who is due three different amounts totaling nearly $300. I sent him an email. 

Surprise! for me. There was $30 of my money just waiting for me to claim it. This was from about two years ago when a credit bureau charged me for services I didn't sign up for. So rather than send me a check to the address they had on record, they sent it to the Texas Unclaimed Property office. I'm guessing they didn't like that I challenged them about the services I didn't request. 

Anyway, the check arrived this week and we promptly cashed it and went to lunch at a nice Mexican restaurant. It paid 75% of the bill. 

To me it was 'found money' because I had no idea that it was just sitting there waiting for me to ask for it. 

So, I'm now suggesting that everyone check to see if they may have funds waiting for them. It could be nothing, but it could also be a small check that covers lunch, or maybe a huge amount left to you by an unknown relative or friend who simply didn't have your address. 

Worth a shot. 

Just Google your state's Comptroller's office. It's probably listed there. 

You're welcome. 

Spring "Thirty Dollars Richer Just For Asking" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Good advice there.  Here's the link for Florida  https://www.fltreasurehunt.org.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I will be $3.95 richer, in 8-10 weeks, thanks to your PSA. Everything is coming up Millhouse! Thanks
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    After my Mother passed away as the executor of her estate I did the same thing in her name in MO and IA where she had lived. I did not expect to find anything but - I did find about $1,700. Years ago Prudential Ins converted to a stock company and issued stock to their insured customers. Trouble was they made little effort to get an updated mailing address and her stock went unclaimed and eventually was declared abandoned property. BTW Prudential used an address in IA where they had lived over 55 years before!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Since posting this message on egghead forum, greeneggers forum and Big Green Eggers BBQ forum (facebook) about unclaimed property, I've heard from a number of folks who were due money they had no idea was waiting for them simply by asking for it on line with a minimal amount of effort.

Just saying... I costs nothing to search each state's unclaimed property list. You may turn up something and may not, but you surely won't if you don't even try.

While you are searching, why not check for family and friends, and maybe even neighbors who may be unaware that it can be done.  I have a feeling they would welcome any amount of 'Found Money' just as I did with my $30.00.

Spring "Hey... Look What I Found!" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    thanks- just found $36.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.  Nothing for us or our relatives.  But I searched for a few friends, and it looks like my good friend's husband might have three claims (all under $100).  I called to tell her.  They only recently got a computer (this summer), so they had never checked.  I e-mailed her a link so they can check it out, and I did warn them that it might just be a few bucks each. 

But like you said, maybe it's enough to eat out.  That would be fun!  :)
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My wife found near 2k on our version of that. Two biggest chunks were from a apt deposit from long ago that hadn't been returned after she moved out, the other substantial chunk was from an overpayment of her mortgage that glitched in the closing I guess. Definitely worth a look!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Two more Egghead friends informed me that they submitted their requests for their money from the Texas Unclaimed Funds office.  One is for $55 and the other $199.  

Between some more in Louisiana and Mississippi and other states, that's at least $500 recovered simply their by going online and asking for it.  

Spring "Found Money Is The Sweetest" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    $200.00 for my son!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hotch said:
    $200.00 for my son!
    Then I can now say "At least $700."  Way to go.

Spring "Search, Find, Request, Spend" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Also my SIL's dad had over $300 and a one that said
    ** Value of this property will be determined after claim has been reviewed. **

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Two more for a neighbor totaling $88.67  

Told them to check it out.

Spring "Easy Money" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Add me to the list.  $150 unclaimed utility deposit on my previous house in Florida.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I searched Missouri and i found $0.02 owed me.  :s  In Kansas where I lived for a while you have to register to see what may be unclaimed.  Not going to do that, because maybe I owe them.  Not sure it is worth it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my brothers getting just over 400, my sister shows up at over 100 but i havent reached her yet. now i know massachusetts state revenue owes me one dollar even, i kept that check just cause years ago =) its not showing up, im devastated
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    My friend went on to check, and they think the three items might be for his dad -- deceased for many years.  And there was a lot in his grandmother's name; she's been gone even longer.  I think they're going to look into it (I hope!). 
  • The_Canuck
    Options
    Didn't find anything for me, but my friends and in-laws are thanking me.  Hopefully I can get a "finders fee."
    Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i have $270 on the tx site but cant claim it.  the business that owed it went under and i cant find any old paperwork proving it was me.  oh well, i have successfully claimed $150 or so from there though
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not sure of the amount as the site in Oklahoma will only specify if it's over or under $100, but my wife and I will be walking away with at least 200 bucks here.  Can't beat free money!