Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-The Last Steak

Options
Battleborn
Battleborn Posts: 3,359
Finally had to come to grips and make an appointment to have our 14 year old lab put down.  A couple of weeks ago, she started limping, after having X-rays done and few other tests, the only thing they could find was arthritis.
They prescribed some pain meds and wanted to see if they helped. They didn't. She has gotten worse and I can see a noticeable atrophy in her hind leg muscles. She can't move. I have to carry here everywhere and she can barely go to potty by herself. 
We got her four years ago from a family that would have had to send her to a pound of we didn't get her. Luckily we gave her a few more happy years. Sad day for the girl that has become my grilling partner. 

She wasn't too thrilled about riding in the back seat when we moved. 
Put a nice reverse seat on the steak. Seasoned with Worechestershire and a Famous Dave's Rub. 
Eat well tonight ol' girl. 
Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    So tough to lose a family member. Never easy to put down a family pet. But at least she went out with some killer grub! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Did that with our male about 10 yrs ago. Same deal. Couldn't stand without peeling in the floor.

The current female is coming up on 5, but she has issues.

Tough times. I feel your pain. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    She's a beauty! She'll love that steak :-) When gauging quality of life for our canine friends, our vet said if she still wanting to be with us, acting like she wants to please us, she's still enjoying her life...its a slow turn and a horrible decision to have to make...but when you notice the bad is starting to outweigh the good you don't want her to suffer, you'll feel better about letting her rest at that point. I feel for ya man.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    She's a beauty! She'll love that steak :-) When gauging quality of life for our canine friends, our vet said if she still wanting to be with us, acting like she wants to please us, she's still enjoying her life...its a slow turn and a horrible decision to have to make...but when you notice the bad is starting to outweigh the good you don't want her to suffer, you'll feel better about letting her rest at that point. I feel for ya man.
    @Hans61 I hear ya', she is still alert but has started to slowly draw away from eating. Unless I grill her some meat haha. She tore that steak up. 

I appreciate the kind words everyone. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Sucks dude. I put our old pug down a few months ago. I balled like a little girl. But dammit, I loved that dog. Haha... 
  • Battleborn
    Options
    @tarheelmatt they truly are one of God's greatest creations. Compassionate and loyal. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Options
    @cheeaa I'm sure I will be a blubbering mess tomorrow. Went and paid for the thing today so I wouldn't have to then. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ThrillSeeker
    Options

Getting a little dusty in here...something got in my eye...

......sniffle.

Sorry for your loss @battleborn

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thoughts and Prayers man, tough thing to have to go through.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I'll be thinking about you.  It's by far the worst part of being a pet owner.  I went through that a few years ago with our border collie Lizzy.  Best cattle dog I ever had and my constant companion.  It's hard to tell the time and steps she saved me and she loved to do it. But she finally got to where she was in constant pain internally.  Our vet said he would do exploratory surgery to see if there was anything that could be corrected, but he was certain what he would find.  In that case, he would just sew her back up and not let her wake up.  
       I still miss her.  We've had several dogs over the years.  Loved them all but two were truly special.  She was one of them.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I did the same thing when I had to have my best furry friend put down. His hips were shot and he couldn't walk. My wife and I borrowed a wagon to wheel him around his favorite pond and we went home for steak.

I still miss him.

My condolences, @Battleborn. Cherish the memories. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Appreciate the kind words. Waiting for the appointment was tough and even harder explaining to our 5 year old why she didn't come home from the vet. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    nothing easy about this, sorry for your loss
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    You are in my prayers. Just remember the rainbow bridge.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Thoughts and prayer with you and family...  and a beautiful last steak!  Your 5 year old will have a lifetime of memories - as ours do of the two yellows we lost within a month of each other.   When the time is right and the next one comes home or he or she will be as loved - maybe even a bit more fiercely after this...
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Teary eyed. Sorry man. It is hard to do. I know.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Tough day but dwell on the positives-unconditional love.

A link to rainbow bridge:  https://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Sad to hear. We have a blue healer that is 11. She is really starting to decline. Best damn dog I have ever had. I dread the day I have to do this but I can see it coming.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Sorry to hear it man. I'll be praying for you and your family.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    This thread absolutely tore me up.  This is a part of life I will never understand.  What an amazing doggie.  What an amazing living being.  One look at her and I can tell she had the kindest of hearts.  You sound as if you were a wonderful owner/master/provider for her.  Thank you for that.  If I had to list the five best reasons that makes life worth living, dogs would absolutely be on that list.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Battleborn
    Options
    @Hub thank you for the kind words. She was a great girl, with a personality all her own. She could be a grouchy old woman one minute and the sweetest little baby the next. She would regularly kick our son out of his bed to take it over. She gave us way more than we could give her. 
    Y'all are some good people here and I appreciate all the kind words. 
    Las Vegas, NV