Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going on vacation charcoal question

Options
we are going on vacation next week so I thought the wife might let me get a mini max to take with us. But she shut me down. I'm being reduced to the park style grills. I thought about taking a bag of royal Oak. Anybody use lump on this style grill? Still better that bricks?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    buy a weber smokey joe and a bag of RO. the weber is 30 bucks... and you will know that no one has ever defiled it. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Carolina Q has the perfect setup for you. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Agree on grill- but briquettes or lump in open grill will be fine.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    A bag of Kingsford Blue will be just fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I had to use a park grill and it sucked. Used briquettes and it took over an hour to get them lit. No airflow in those grills. Got dizzy blowing on the fire. Didn't  want to use lighter fluid. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Charcoal lighter fluid on briquettes has not been an issue for me-just make sure it burns off (no smell) and you are good to go.  BTW-don't buy any Kingsford Matchlight charcoal.  Did that once when it first came out around 30+ years ago and you could never get rid of the lighter fluid after-taste.  Kingsford original and the juice will work just fine.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    500 said:
    I had to use a park grill and it sucked. Used briquettes and it took over an hour to get them lit. No airflow in those grills. Got dizzy blowing on the fire. Didn't  want to use lighter fluid. 
    Bring a charcoal chimney.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Lump will work, but you will burn a lot more of it.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Lump will work, but you will burn a lot more of it.
    True dat. Kingsford would be fine. Cheaper too.

You'll be surprised how good your food will taste. Crispy chicken skin too!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Start early, those things are tough to get a fire going on.  There's no airflow from below and the metal acts as a huge heat sink.  A chimney starter will help as will a BBQ dragon or fan.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm 8 days into a roadtrip right now.  The baby weber kettle, chimney starter, and a bag of kingsford has saved me from a bunch of disgusting fast food.  I wouldnt even want a mini max for a roadtrip - I'd lose a lot of time waiting for it to cool down.

Phoenix 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    buy a weber smokey joe and a bag of RO. the weber is 30 bucks... and you will know that no one has ever defiled it. :)

Agree! Never use one of those park grills - disgusting what gets dropped on their grids.........
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Get the jumbo joe variety, not the smaller $30 one:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-18-Inch-Portable/dp/B0098HR0RC/

Love both of mine. They have the same grid space as a large BGE. There are no airflow issues and fantastic to cook on. I take both of them when we go grill at the park.