Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Full on Spanish Night

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I had planned to make paella tonight, and by a fortuitous coincidence when I got to the store they were having a Celebration of Spain theme and I was able to pick up all kinds of good stuff for tapas: Manchego cheese; Marcona almonds; Manzanilla olives; Spanish chorizo; Jamón Iberíco; bread and a great Spanish olive oil. To sip on, a nice Rioja. 

And of course paella as the main course. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You're my hero
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Always dig your posts. Nice job. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Love it.  That kind of grazing is always good.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    What a true feast-I'm envious of your drive to go so far beyond a great paella to really bring it home.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Really nice!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Sir we shall likely never meet, but I wish we would...
    Jacksonville FL
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That looks WONDERFUL!!!

I just had paella for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and WOW did I love that stuff!  One of my sons-in-law studied at the Culinary Institute of America, and he is one amazing cook -- I've never had anything he cooked that was spectacular.  And when we all were together for a family vacation at the beach, he cooked paella, among other wonderful things.  It was just amazing!

It made me more curious about how people on this forum cook it.  He said that long ago, it was originally made over an open fire, and that even today, in Spain they mostly cook it on top of the stove, and that part of the art of cooking it is getting the bottom bit on the pan dark brown and crispy but not burnt.  He was surprised when I told him I'd seen a bunch of guys making paella in their Big Green Eggs, but said it sounded like it might be great.  He wondered if they closed the dome, because, again, he said usually it isn't baked in an oven, but cooked on the stovetop.  Somehow, I had always thought paella was baked in the oven.

So how do you cook your paella?  Do you cook it direct, indirect, dome open, dome closed?

It sounds so involved that I'm not sure I have the gumption, anyway.  And the Spanish chorizo was very clearly super important in the flavor, and I've never seen that in my area, though maybe it can be ordered online.

Anyway, I'd be interested in a few more details, if you're willing?

Thanks!
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @Theophan paella works great on the Egg. There is a detailed article on the Naked Whiz's site, check it out. The crispy bottom you are talking about is the soccarat, and tonight I finally got it right...I usually get nervous and pull too soon. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks spectacular. I'm envious of seafood paella since I can't get really nice seafood at home. Paella is one of my favorite cooks on the egg. I'll be making some Wednesday for my son's birthday - chicken and rabbit. I picked up some Spanish chorizo so I'm excited to use that. 
    @Theophan +1 on the Naked Whiz site. Use good bomba rice, good stock, and saffron. It's a fun cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Outstanding!!

Which store was having the Spain fest? Central Market?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Nicely done.. Such great detail !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @caliking it was regular HEB's (Lakeline and 1431 both), so I'm assuming system wide and CM too
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Many thanks for the link to the Paella Primer!  I'll check it out!