Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket On Saturday?!? Help

Options
spharveybuck
spharveybuck Posts: 10
I plan on cooking a brisket for 6 people on Saturday. How big should i get and how long should i plan to cook? Smoke or No Smoke, Injection, Rub, ANYTHING! JUST NEED SOME HELP!
XL Egg - Husband - Father of 1 - Cleveland, TN - GO VOLS

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Search th forum....you are looking for a whole lot of info to put in one post.   Or, google Brisket and Eggheadforum.com.

If this is your first, get a whole brisket with flat and fatcap. 10-16 lbs probably. You'll lose some weight in the cook....use the rest leftover for other meals and recipes.
    Not trying to be short...but there are m any brisket threads here for you to research.

Someone else may jump in and post some shortcuts to some of these threads.

Welcome to the madhouse and the eggdiction. I'm sure you'll find all you need.  Just keep reading.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I plan on cooking a brisket for 6 people on Saturday. How big should i get and how long should i plan to cook? Smoke or No Smoke, Injection, Rub, ANYTHING! JUST NEED SOME HELP!
    @spharveybuck  .. is this your very first brisket cook? If your looking to impress and want to hit a HR, maybe you should doing a butt ... that's a guaranteed winner.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    12-16 lbs

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Keep it simple. Just rub it smoke it around 275 or so and it's done when it probes tender in the thickest part of flat.
  • spharveybuck
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! Just made a quick rub, let it sit out of fridge for an hour, its been on for one hour and holding strong @ 250. Going to try and achive 275 since we plan on eating around 6:30pm.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! Just made a quick rub, let it sit out of fridge for an hour, its been on for one hour and holding strong @ 250. Going to try and achive 275 since we plan on eating around 6:30pm.

How big a brisket did you get? What quality? Flat? Point? Packer? Unless it is real small, that timeframe is really short...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    ^^^^^ this- and when the dust settles give the linked thread a look.  Covers all you will need to know about brisket cooks and more.

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • spharveybuck
    Options
    It was roughly 7 LBS, just a smaller flat one. It was a huge success, everyone loved it, very tender and juicy! Thanks for all the help and input!