Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie goof -- advice, please!

Options
mrs_story
mrs_story Posts: 136
I decided to try a variation on the tamale casserole/pie that @tarheelmatt posted a little while back.  This would be my second cook alone, setting it up all by myself.  I got the charcoal started and up to 350-degrees . . . so proud of myself for catching it on the way up!  Then I realized I forgot to put the plate setter in it. 

Dangit!  I didn't want to risk putting it into the egg and cracking it.  I saw a disposable aluminum pan with the grilling stuff, so I set that on the grate upside down, and put the BGE grill extender (I believe that's what it's called) over it.  Placed the skillet containing the tamale pie on the extender.

Still cooking.  We'll see how it turns out in a bit (fingers crossed!).  I'd like to know if it would be a bad idea to put an unheated plate setter into a 350-degree egg. 

Thanks so much for your help . . . I'm sure this won't be my last screw up! 

Comments