Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Hinge Springs

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
Got a question, I tried asking my local BGE dealer, but talking to him is like talking to my ex-gf  .. I get no where.

The dome on my Lg egg seems to close shut at the slightest touch and or slightest breeze. It's been so long since things were new, but I assume this isn't normal. The band is nice and tight and the dome passed the dollar test ..

My dealer told me I had to buy a complete new band and hinge assy - $$$ .. I think if I can replace the two springs this will fix things.

Oh, by the way, things (concerning the bge) aren't the same here on the West Coast are they are in the South, other than BBQ's Galore (a local chain with McDonald's type employees) there is no one who has technical experience and/or is willing to go the extra mile to solve problems. They just want to sell and upgrade you ..

Anyone have thoughts?

Tim

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Still looking for an answer. I'll give this a bump. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tim, our store demo egg is the same way. I would think that swapping out the springs would work, but I haven't done ours yet. Ours is almost dangerous. I will ask our rep if he has seen this issue, he deals with everyone's problems, not just ours. 
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    This happens to me from time to time on a medium. I have found that the bolt securing the only spring likes to come loose, so tightening it helps for a bit. It's doing it again now and the bolt is still tight, so I'm off to look for another problem with it. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    theres 4 things that can go wrong. band is upside down, spring bolt got loose, egg is slightly leaning forward (you actually need to check this with a vevel as it does not take much), the spring is failing. if this is an older egg they changed the spring sizes and design a couple times which can be a problem in itself. most commonly its that bolt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    It had the same problem with my large egg and found that every bolt in the spring assembly was loose, almost to the point of coming out. Tightened them all back up and now it stays open and is nice and snug. I now have my 1/2 inch wrench in my storage area to check the bolts anytime that thing feels loose again. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Can't help Tim, but I have noticed mine kind of sways when it is breezy.  It stays open, but scares me thinking that a strong enough breeze might blow it closed.  Guess it's time to check some bolts.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    I took my entire egg apart trying to fix a small underbite - proving my suspicion that I was potty trained at gunpoint.

During re-assembly, I was surprised at how tight those springs are! I used a vice grip and leaned pretty hard to stretch them back into position.

If your springs have any "give" in them, then they should be replaced. In my hands, I could not get them to budge a millimeter without using leverage and tools.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My large lately when open will not stay open.  It will shut by it self.  I'm following this closely.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Thanks guys, well I guess the good news is that I'm not all alone. Gonna go back in and check & re-tighten all nuts and bolts, see what happens.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    see the crooked bolt on the spring, thats the one that loosens up and starts to tilt. tighten that one up and the lid should stop dropping. the other bolts need to be a little loose on the band

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @SoCalTim... just to add to the "what's with that conversation," my older large has a stronger spring set up than my newer large.   Go figure.

Should switch springs and see if that changes anything ... maybe next week.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    One of my spring bolts seemed loose and my dome was closing too easily. tightened it up and it now requires a bit more of a tug to close. Works for me in the meantime. 

I think a new Large band kit is around $130?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @fishlessman .. great picture, I'll check it when I get home from work.
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    Wouldn't a new band kit be covered under warranty?
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I think it's a one year (maybe 3) on metal. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    see the crooked bolt on the spring, thats the one that loosens up and starts to tilt. tighten that one up and the lid should stop dropping. the other bolts need to be a little loose on the band

Someone posted where the two spring bolts were replaced with a continuous length of all-thread to span the two hinges.  That approach eliminated the tipping even if the nuts became loose. Can't remember who or where it's posted, but it's an idea.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SoCalTim
    Options

Someone posted where the two spring bolts were replaced with a continuous length of all-thread to span the two hinges.  That approach eliminated the tipping even if the nuts became loose. Can't remember who or where it's posted, but it's an idea.
    Just got home from work and compared my spring to the one in the picture. It's bent also. So I pulled a wrench out, gave it a good tightening - it's fixed. Thank you! 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Recently put on a new spring and band assembly and now my lid doesn't want to stay open. (slammed shut on me once already) I was very meticulous with install. I didn't mess with the hinge bolts (e.g tighten), I just tightened the bands. Love that I just searched this forum and now have some bolts to check when I get home. Thank you @fishlessman  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Recently put on a new spring and band assembly and now my lid doesn't want to stay open. (slammed shut on me once already) I was very meticulous with install. I didn't mess with the hinge bolts (e.g tighten), I just tightened the bands. Love that I just searched this forum and now have some bolts to check when I get home. Thank you @fishlessman  
    Perhaps you put the new band on upside down - seriously - does it point downward like this?

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    @RRP I think so, but I'll double check. It looked to be a different design than my original spring assembly. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Raymont said:
    @RRP I think so, but I'll double check. It looked to be a different design than my original spring assembly. 
    It's just what you described sounds like upside down. Not the first time that has happened. Only other thing is your egg no longer sitting level, but leaning forward?
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Tim, I agree things in So Cal are different when it comes to BGE.  Call Shad at Outdoor Kitchen Creations in Upland (909) 920-0963.  He is the sponsor of the So Cal EggFest and has a good relationship with BGE.  He's helped me in the past. 
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    My large will almost smash your hand if it barely gets hit.

It also has an underbite I can't fix..

I just got a new base, so I'm half tempted to spend the money for a new spring and band assembly..

Just noticed today my fire ring is cracked too.. I think I've now replaced every ceramic part but the dome at this point!

I will take the suggestion to tighten bolts- It was the first thing I did. Nothing really loose.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    My large will almost smash your hand if it barely gets hit.

It also has an underbite I can't fix..

I just got a new base, so I'm half tempted to spend the money for a new spring and band assembly..

Just noticed today my fire ring is cracked too.. I think I've now replaced every ceramic part but the dome at this point!

I will take the suggestion to tighten bolts- It was the first thing I did. Nothing really loose.
    I'm with you @FATC1TY....the dome is the only part I haven't replaced.  I spend the $125 or whatever on the spring/band assembly and so glad I did.  I'm solid now. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Moulton_1924
    Options
    I started to have a similar problem recently:  My dome would not open fully and took so much force the egg would tilt back.  I looked at the back and saw what looks like FishlessMan's pick.  I interpreted it as a bent bolt I needed to replace.  Anyways, today I could only crack the lid about five inches.  Company coming so I needed to fix this fast.  Found this thread and tightened the loose bolt, sure enough it straightened out.  But the seizing still occurred. I noticed lots of rust and the like, so I blasted the hell out of it with WD-40.  Five minutes later its like new again.  Thanks WD-40!  and thanks this thread!
  • dwhopp
    Options
    I have a Large BGE since 2005. I have repaired the hinge several times over this time.  After replacing broken springs, bent hinge spring bolts, and nylon locking nuts, I discovered one item that was overlooked. The thin washers that slip between the hinge links and the hinge frame.  I found the original washers were extreemly worn. There are 4 on my hinge assembly. I recently replaced these with fiber washers.  This repair seems to have restored the hinge tightness to original condition.  The bolts can be loosened or tightened as needed to provide the needed friction to hold the dome in position.  I hope this helps with this issue.