Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GrillGrates Seasoned and Installed - The Movie

Options
This has been a good week, although a tad warm. Hot in fact, but it didn't deter me from my mission to season the GrillGrates so I can cook a Tri-Tip on them for dinner tonight. 

The Tri-Tip is in the sous vide bath now, going for 3 hours. I will take it out, pat it dry, and sear it on the GrillGrates. If all goes to plan, it will be a beautiful thing. 

Meanwhile, I thought I would share my video on how I seasoned the GrateMates, just in case you're thinking of getting some. The video is short, so take a couple of minutes. It might save you some time when you get ready to season yours. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shm_UC2i5sU 

Stay tuned for the Tri-Tip video. 

Spring "Well Seasoned And Packed Entirely Inside Me" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great video, looks like you have all the fun toys for the MiniMax.  Any advantag having the grill grates vs cast iron grill?  I was think of getting a cast iron grill (BGE) for my MiniMax, really like the one on my Large.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited July 2016
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Great video, looks like you have all the fun toys for the MiniMax.  Any advantag having the grill grates vs cast iron grill?  I was think of getting a cast iron grill (BGE) for my MiniMax, really like the one on my Large.
    I'm just getting into the GrillGrates, so I'm not the one to point you in any direction.  But rest assured, I look at a lot of posts showing beautiful cooks done on GrillGrates, and although that pretty much made up my mind to by some, I also watched some YouTube videos and read some reviews.  Everyone, liked them.

As for cast iron grates, I've really never been a fan of them.  The one I purchased from BGE in Atlanta many years ago cracked on one of the spokes.  Plus, I like using my Lawn Ranger Grid Lifter, and the cast iron grid was just too heavy for it.  I didn't care for all the make-shift cast iron grid-lifters folks were having to use, so I just shelved any idea of using my cast iron grids.

Meanwhile, my Sweetie had a custom made steel grid made for me.

I guess it's a 'To each his own.'

Spring "Now A GrillGrater" Chicken

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Thank you, Leroy! I'm going to do exactly what you did tomorrow on MY new GrillGrates. And I have to add +1 to using sous vide with a tri-tip. It literally melts in your mouth!

Judy in San Diego