Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey 8 lbs.

Options
RaySMS
RaySMS Posts: 42
My wife would like me to smoke a turkey on the egg and it is an albs, she doesn't really care about the smoke as she 
wants me to cook it and try to keep it moist.

So any suggestions?  I think Indirect for starters, what should the temp be and how long.....what are your thoughts?

Asking the experts 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    My suggestion is to brine it, hit up the search box, lotsa good info. As far as temp, 350 sounds like a good round number, cook to 165. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    never done turkey on the egg.... but I have purchased a briner and am anxiously awaiting thanksgiving.  My family rotates who cooks them, and this is the first year in the last 5 that it is my turn..... Not sure why I need to wait for thanksgiving.... It just never crosses my mind to cook a turkey until then

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 697
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

I follow this, but cook on the egg. I generally add some smoke wood but only a little. I also follow the naked whiz method of icing the breast before cooking. Highly recommended. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 697
    Options
    After looking at the recipe I should add that I think I followed the mad max cooking technique, Alton Brown everything else.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    +1 on Alton Brown's recipe.  I usually smoke with a little pecan.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I cook it like I would a chicken, spatchcock it and cook raised indirect at 350-400 until the breast are 160-165.  If you add any wood chunks, uses a milder wood, and not to much.  Birds dont need a lot of smoke flavor.

If you dont have room to flatten it out, I have kept turkeys whole and cooked them on a roasting rack, but same temperature range.  It just takes longer cooking like that to get to 160-165 in the breast.  

Overall, I have found turkeys to be pretty easy to cook on the BGE.  My wife always hated turkey because all she ever had was dry, oven roasted thanksgiving turkeys people served.  She loves smoked turkey on the BGE.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone