Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rib Roast - Reverse Sear Wins the Day

Options
Folks - put together a beautiful 6lb+ standing rib roast for dinner on the egg tonight. Results were fantastic so I wanted to share a few pics as well as the method used. Enjoy and let me know if you try this recipe !!

1/ Stand rib roast on a rack over a rimmed baking sheet uncovered for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator - this reduces surface moisture and contributes to the all important crust ! Thanks @Darby_Crenshaw for this pro tip !!

2/ An hour before cooking remove roast from fridge and prep the surface as follows: first use a salt rub (I use a home made four seasons blend courtesy of Adam Perry Lang's pro tips - google it, you will use it plenty once you've made a batch). Work the salt rub into all sides of the meat with wet fingers and leave to both season the meat and reduce surface moisture even further. This will take 20-30 minutes of the hour out of the fridge. Next splash liberally with Worcestershire sauce and season liberally with your favorite BBQ rub - for beef I use Jess Pryles' hardcore carnivore rub. This stuff is magic in a bottle. 

2/ Set egg up for indirect cooking at 225/250 with an empty drip pan under the cooking grate. When ready to cook add just one soaked cherrywood chunk to the center of the fire. All you are looking for is to kiss the meat with a little smoke - cherry is a very subtle flavor and also contributes to color

3/ Cook on a roasting rack placed on top of the grate until the internal temperature reaches 115, then remove and rest covered in foil for 30 minutes. I like to rest the meat before the final sear as this means the crust forms right on the fire and gets on your plate as soon as possible

4/ Remove plate setter from egg and open up grates until grill reaches 500-600. Sear for one minute on each side. This will turn out medium cooked meat throughout - I usually prefer medium rare on the margin but had guests who preferred medium. For medium rare pull the roast at 110 before resting

5/ Remove string and cut bones from roast (I ask the butcher to hinge the joint - remove the bones but then tie the roast back on). I like to cook on the bone for heat conduction but hinging makes for easy removal and minimizes waste. Carve into thick slices, serve and eat !

Comments