Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on wings ...

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Wings were on the schedule for tonight ... 9.5 lbs of wings to be exact.  Too much for one egg, so both larges were fired up.  One had a PSWoo, plate setter, and drip pan (empty of course.)  The other had an AR with the oval stone, oval drip pan, and felt line grid ... still ran out of space, so threw the extension on the AR with a D-grid to handle the last of the wings.

Oh yes, out came the SmoBot and the Flameboss 200 to control temps ... love technology ... and love to experiment.  One interesting result was they both brought their respective eggs up to 375 degrees in the same length of time.  Hmmm ... wouldn't have expected that result.

The disappointing result is that even with the grid temps the same (375 degrees) the two eggs cooked differently.  The wings in the PSWoo equipped egg were finished in about 50 minutes ... normal result.  The wings in the AR egg still weren't ready after 65 minutes ... even the wings up on the extension were late.  Ended up shifting the wings over to the PSWoo egg to finish them off.

Why did that happen?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I forgot to check .... one egg had 2 levels (longer cook)  the other egg had 1 level (faster cook)

I bet it had to do with radiant heat.  Fast egg the wings had radiant heat from both sides.   The longer wings only got radiant heat from one side.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think you'll find if you wear shoes when you cook wings, you can increase the "pace" of the cook.  I don't know how I know this.