Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rough Deck Design

Options
Well, I am attempting to design my first deck (for my house). I have built houses before and some small decks, but never designed. So, I downloaded Sketchup for free and am pretty pleased with the results so far. I have detailed blocking, connectors, sizes, etc. Left hand side bump out is where I need to design the stairs still. Need to finish the guardrail (going to change it to a hogwire guardrail I think). Deck will be 14' high due to site conditions. 

I am dealing with a small back yard so designing the stairs will get interesting.

Sketchup is pretty slick, really enjoyed designing it (selfishly this will give me a cost estimate from local lumber yards).

Once the deck design is complete I will design the egg table ("L" shaped) and built in banquette bench and table for the deck...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like it. Perhaps have the stairs wrap around the deck with a landing were the turn occurs?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks good.  Just a suggestion- do you have room to make the roof a little higher?  I'm just thinking it might feel a little cramped with the lower ceiling. Also it might help keep smoke from getting in the house if it is a couple of feet above the door.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It looks good.  Just a suggestion- do you have room to make the roof a little higher?  I'm just thinking it might feel a little cramped with the lower ceiling. Also it might help keep smoke from getting in the house if it is a couple of feet above the door.  
    Or consider a natural draft exhaust or a forced fan exhaust thru the roof. Just something to kick around. With no exhaust the smoke plume WILL linger and has the possibility of entering into the attic. Not to mention it's not the best thing to have to constantly breath in. Trust me on this. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have room to make the roof higher, wish I could and do a typical ridged roof, but that is as high as I can go... The deck will be open on all sides, think there is still a concern for the smoke?... Not sure a solution on tha one...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think a good fan pointed towards the cookers to blow the smoke out the side will help a lot.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You need a beer bottle foul line.....well a basked on the lower level to shoot for after many beverages. I would also consider a fireman's pole......for the quick exit.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Or consider a natural draft exhaust or a forced fan exhaust thru the roof. Just something to kick around. With no exhaust the smoke plume WILL linger and has the possibility of entering into the attic. Not to mention it's not the best thing to have to constantly breath in. Trust me on this. 
    What would be an example of a natural draft exhaust on a deck?  Does anyone have a picture of their set- up?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    What would be an example of a natural draft exhaust on a deck?  Does anyone have a picture of their set- up?
    I believe it just means there is a natural way for smoke to rise and exit the area without it collecting.   A hood with a duct that rises up and exits, or something that does the same thing built into the design.  You need the vertical rise at some point to get a draw.  Smoke (hot air, really) does not like to go down, and it is indifferent to moving horizontally.

@fletcherfam if you have a picture of the building where this attaches, that would be awesome.
    Options
    ^^^^ Correct. Example?  The egg has a natural draft :wink:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Use a slide to get down, rope ladder to climb up.  It will be perfect.  Also it would be a pain moving the sill but if you really want a bit more head room you could drop the deck a few feet and have a couple stairs  down from the door.  Probably just easier to put in a hood though
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada