Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Koolickles

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
2L (1/2 Gal.) jar of dill pickles
Kool-Aid mix for 6L (3 Gal.)

-Remove the pickles from the jar and slice them in half (I also remove the tips)
-Empty the brine in a bowl (there was 900 ml/32 oz) and keep 700 ml/24 oz (I use the extra brine in Bloody Cesar's).
-Mix the 700 ml/24 oz of brine with as much cherry kool-aid mix as it will take.  I used a full jar of mix (enough for 6L/1.5 Gal.).  The brine will be dark red and opaque but after a few weeks, it will be slightly translucent.
-Let them soak the brine for a few weeks in the beer fridge.  I shake them from time to time but that's probably not necessary.  If you are patient and wait long enough, they will become red throughout.

They are good (and strange) as a side on their own.  I like to chop and mix them with mayonnaise to make a burger topping sauce.

Comments

• paqman
    Options

Options
    Thanks for posting
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This is another one of those ideas that my wife will use to question my sanity and immediately identify as coming from this forum.  Thankfully, most of them turn out really well.

I know this goes against all that is Paula Deen and the south, but do you think the sugar free Kool-aide packets would work?  Much less to get into solution, I think you could put more of the flavoring and color in.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2016
    Options
    They are indeed strange........a little goes a long way.
    I have made them before. I think I wound up throwing most of the jar away after they sat in the refrigerator for a year.
    Hopefully your batch will turn out better than mine.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but it has probably been 60 years since I bought or made KoolAid. Doesn't it still come dry in small foil packages? Are you saying to mix some of it with water and add the to the brine or just mix the dry KA with the brine? I'm confused when you say mix as much as it will take. TIA
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    If you use the packets of unsweetened you also have to add sugar. Google koolickles and there are lots of versions. I'm having trouble posting the link from my phone.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • paqman
    Options
    @RRP don't mix with water.  The mix I used was already pre-mixed with sugar (it is probably more expensive than purchasing the small foil packages).  If you use the foil packages, then you'll need to add sugar.  Dissolve as much dry mixture (saturate) as you can in the brine.  With the mix I used, that was about 10 times the quantity of kool-aid recommended for the liquid I had. 

Options
    Chopped and mixed with mayonnaise, red hot sauce and Old Bay seasoning.  The best (and strangest burger sauce ever).  I just finished my last jar of Old Bay... So sad.

I made these a couple of years ago for a side, but Wilma wasn't impressed.  I never thought about making a burger topping with them.  Have to make them again. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I didn't quite think that it would take that much Kool aid , so the clarification was helpful. The burger topping sounds killer!

how about the Bloody Caesar recipe ? :) you're full of all kinds of good ideas!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    Options
    @caliking A Bloody Caesar is basically a Bloody Mary made with Clamato instead of tomato juice.  Clamato is tomato juice with clam broth and tons of MSG.  I like to add pickle brine to my Caesars.  Did I ever mention that it's my drink of choice?

Options
    Another dumb question - is Clamato available without the MSG? MSG makes me wish I had an auxillary a-hole to speed the exodus! 
  • paqman
    Options
    @RRP Not really, there are some artisanal products that don't contain MSG being sold in specialty grocery stores but, if you ask me, it is not as good.  You can probably find a recipe if you do a search on Google.

Options
    BTW - I am starting a jar of Koolickles tomorrow using a 24 oz jar of Vlasic Zesty Dill Spears and Cherry Kool-Aid. Catch ya on up the road in what? 2 or 3 weeks from now or should it be longer?
  • paqman
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW - I am starting a jar of Koolickles tomorrow using a 24 oz jar of Vlasic Zesty Dill Spears and Cherry Kool-Aid. Catch ya on up the road in what? 2 or 3 weeks from now or should it be longer?
    @RRP It should be good

Options
    paqman said:
    RRP said:
    @RRP It should be good
    Thanks - but 2, 3 or more weeks???
  • paqman
    Options
    @RRP 2-3 weeks should be good.  When they are red throughout, they are ready.

Options
    RRP...I posted picks of mine after only 1 week. Unfortunately I don't have them with me to post here. I ate some yesterday and they tasted awesome.

I posted them in the original paqman Burgers discussion.

I intended to buy the small package of dry cherry coolaid mix and add a cup of sugar. I mistakenly bought the box with the 6 single packets for bottled water. I put all of the packets in and a cup of sugar !!  It turned out very good though !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Ummm....not sure why I would want to do this. Is there a taste enhancement?  

Now for Caesar's I am 100% on the pickle juice bandwagon although I have had some great dill pickle vodka from Saskatoon that makes a great Caesar. Just wish I could get it here in Ontario. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.