Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to find good meats

Options
I live in El Paso, TX as of 2 weeks ago. So far, I am highly disappointed in the quality of supermarkets here as far as the meat selection goes. I've tried some local meat markets, but it's all very Hispanic bases and most just thin cut steaks. I haven't found anywhere that sells just a turkey breast. All there is out here is Alberstons, Walmart and some placed called vista. I would love for there to be an HEB here. Where can't go to fulfill my carnivorous desires?

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What about Costco? You could possibly get prime beef (including brisket)? Their seafod has been pretty good too, in my experience. 

I typically don't get pork ribs from there though, because they have cut them poorly in the past. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
    Went into Costco for the first time today. ( Only because I've never lived near one). I was very impressed with the selection.  Thanks for the tip
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Snake River Farms has uber premium meat.............if you have the wallet to get there. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Conman64
    Conman64 Posts: 16
    Options
    Costco is the goods...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And as much of a SRF fan as I am there are a few things to consider before going down that never-ending road.  Given you are in Texas you can likely find quality beef products to quell your immediate beef (especially brisket) fix and Costco is a good point of departure as mentioned above.  A local favorite market is HEB and I would give that a good look if in your area.
    The above said, I don't know your prior location or experience with the BGE but if in Texas no one bit-hes about access to quality beef so you should do quite well.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
    HEB is my favorite everything, but in El Paso there is not one. My struggle to find a good butcher has been been real. I did find one yesterday that has fresh product and great selection. Coronado Prime Meats. Between there and Costco I think I'm set. 
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    Whole foods is the only place I can find them. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Is there a Central Market in El Paso?  That's a HEB brand. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...