Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant

Options
blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971

A friend dropped off some pheasant, which I had never cooked.  After some reading, it sounded like a brine was in order.  I decided to try an equilibrium brine, also first time for me.  Basically, you weight the product you're brining and the water, figure the % salt you want, and add that much to the water.  For poultry, I went with 2%.  This worked great - you can't over brine this way. 

Apps were shishito peppers, grilled radishes.  Made some duckfat potatoes to go with the meat.  Washed it down with basil hayden, slaughter house whiskey, and scotch.  Maybe that explains the lousy pictures.  Anyhow, the pheasant was delicious.  rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic. cooked indirect over some apple smoke.  pulled a little late - 165, was planning for 155.  didn't add any sauce.  Not like a perdue chicken at all.... it had flavor!  as one of my friends said, it tastes like this bird was actually using its wings to fly.  wife will be happy this isn't in the fridge now:

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments