Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More 1st butt ??s

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We now have a 7 1/4 lb. rubbed butt in the fridge ready to hit the EGG tonight. A couple of more newbie questions.[p]How long at will a butt this size generally take?[p]How long after it is done do you pull the pork?[p]If it finishes substantially early Do I eat the whole butt myself or is there a good way to slow down the process?[p]If it doesn't seem to be cooking fast enough how do you speed up the process without compromising the "low and slow" cook?[p]Thats all i can think of right now but I'm sure by the end of the day I'll have more questions.[p]Thanks...Big Cat

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Big Cat,
    ""How long at will a butt this size generally take?""[p]About 20 hrs at 225 deg. [p]""How long after it is done do you pull the pork?""[p]Depends on how tough you are. That meat will be something less than 200 deg. Thats pretty hot so allowing it to cool for 1-2 hr is not uncommon. Pull it while its still warm and it will be much easier than the next day.[p]
    ""If it finishes substantially early Do I eat the whole butt myself or is there a good way to slow down the process?""[p]If it finishes early - wrap it in a towel and in newspaper and place in a cooler. It will stay warm enough to pull for hours. If you need to rush it along - you will bump up the temp to 250 when it hits its temp plateau.
    Follow link below for more info.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Pork Butt - 7 lb[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Cat,
    Tim answered all of your questions pretty well. But you might wrap the butt in foil before the towel!! (you forgot that part birthday boy!). If you wrap tight and stick right in a warm cooler, it will be steaming hot 3 hours later. I have been cooking butts at 250 indirect, and they take 2.5-3 hours a pound. Once you get past the plateau (into the 170s) you can kick it up to 300.[p]Tim does 225 and bumps up to 250. The nice thing about butts, is they are hard to mess up.[p]Happy pulling.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ