Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Improvement

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
edited May 2016 in Off Topic
I have a 36" blackstone.  I love it, but temp control and real high heat has been a struggle at times.

I decided to swap in a 10psi bayou classic regulator.  It has made a huge difference on mine.  It comes up to temp way faster and the temp is easier to control.  If you are struggling with yours I recommend the upgrade.

It has a little gate valve on it to choke the flow.  I get the side to side temp even then open or close the gate valve to set overall temp.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I have had our 36" Blackstone for 7 months...still have yet to figure it out. One thing I have noticed, it does have some serious temperature variations side to side...will be getting a new regulator shortly...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Very cool.....thanks for posting.  I'll definitely get one of these as the one on there sucks.

Also, down at the BBQ convention I saw a new accessory or model they are selling.  They have a table that surrounds the sides and back, level with the grill.  I stopped and talked to the guy and told them they should think about a drop in cutting board that would double as a cover.  He was intrigued.....we'll see.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Here's the link for Amazon.....$22.50.  Ordered!!  http://amzn.com/B0009JXYSM
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Very cool.....thanks for posting.  I'll definitely get one of these as the one on there sucks.

Also, down at the BBQ convention I saw a new accessory or model they are selling.  They have a table that surrounds the sides and back, level with the grill.  I stopped and talked to the guy and told them they should think about a drop in cutting board that would double as a cover.  He was intrigued.....we'll see.
    Prep table cover would be dynamite addition!
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Any reason why this wouldn't also work on the 17" table top Blackstone? I like to blacken fish/chicken often and need to be able to get my Blackstone hotter.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.  I too have the 36" and love it, except the grill surface has many hot/cool spots.  It's very hard to cook a number of pancakes at the same time because some take twice to three times as long to cook unless moved to where the others are burning from too much heat.  I've learned to work around it but it never occurred to me to change the valve.  Thanks...  It will be on my next Amazon order.

Spring "Hot Is Not The Goal - Even Hot Is The Goal" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I told my neighbor (Egghead and Blackstone owner) about this thread and he came over tonight with a hose/regulator from his fish fryer exactly like the one mentioned above.  

I quickly removed the original one and installed the 10 PSI one.  WOW!  What a difference!  The griddle was pushing 300° in about five minutes.  It was smoking like crazy as the recently applied seasoning heated up.  I let it keep going for about 10 minutes and checked the surface temperature with my infrared thermometer and although it was not the same temperature all over, it was a heck of a lot closer to being the same.

Bottom line is I'm ordering the 10 PSI hose/regulator tonight.

Oh, the thing actually roars there's so much gas coming out.  So I'll probably be cutting the pressure back a bit on the regulator.  Wide open caused some flames to come out the Number 1 knob.  It didn't do any damage but it was a bit unsettling.

This modification will certainly give me the heat I need for searing and blackening.

Thanks for the post.

Spring "Hot And Getting Hotter" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Glad to help!  I use my IR gun to set all temps.  Each knob is in a different spot.  My ends are near full and the middle two are about 1/4.  Then I adjust flow with the regulator.  I can get within about 20deg across the whole surface.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ordered. Another $25 to the forum gods. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great idea. As others have said, thanks. I've been toying with the idea to weld a 1" strip around the front as well as the pipe bung issue. We do a lot of bacon cooks, and always seem to get the grease drippings over the front edge. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm probably stupid but just haven't had the same issues. Allowing time to temp...  Today's pancakes:

@blasting's fix works.  It cooks even if given a chance.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm probably stupid but just haven't had the same issues. Allowing time to temp...  Today's pancakes:

Wow! You must have had a small army over this morning! Did you serve eggs as well?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:

Wow! You must have had a small army over this morning! Did you serve eggs as well?
    Ron, 36 eggs yesterday after 3# of bacon all on the Blackstone.  Smaller crowd this morning thankfully so just pancakes and venison sausage.  Grateful kids thereafter.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Just curious, did you have all four burners on High?

Spring "All Out Full Throttle Pancake Cooker" Chicken

• bgebrent
    Options
    Just curious, did you have all four burners on High?

Spring "All Out Full Throttle Pancake Cooker" Chicken

Brother Chicken, all four burners on medium low after a 30 minute sausage cook on same.  I'm in the Atl, you sir are always welcomed.
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:

Ron, 36 eggs yesterday after 3# of bacon all on the Blackstone.  Smaller crowd this morning thankfully so just pancakes and venison sausage.  Grateful kids thereafter.
    Key term must be "Smaller crowd" so this wasn't a family get together? 
  • RRP
    Options
    just GOTTA ask another question about this 15 pancakes...by the color they seem to have all gone on at the same time and maybe even all flipped within seconds apart. Do you have one of those "pancake dumper things" that you squeeze and it releases a uniform amount of batter each time and QUITE quickly? Then did you flip multiples using a pizza peel maybe?

If none of the above is true then YOU must be one fast dude!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    RRP said:
    just GOTTA ask another question about this 15 pancakes...by the color they seem to have all gone on at the same time and maybe even all flipped within seconds apart. Do you have one of those "pancake dumper things" that you squeeze and it releases a uniform amount of batter each time and QUITE quickly? Then did you flip multiples using a pizza peel maybe?

If none of the above is true then YOU must be one fast dude!
    Ron, I am fast.  All pancakes were put on with a ladle.  I have a stainless pancake spatula and before becoming a surgeon I worked at McDonalds for 6 years, truly valuable experience.  Old fashioned my friend.  No tricks, just time and temp and this you know
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Ron, I am fast.  All pancakes were put on with a ladle.  I have a stainless pancake spatula and before becoming a surgeon I worked at McDonalds for 6 years, truly valuable experience.  Old fashioned my friend.  No tricks, just time and temp and this you know
    WOWSER WOWSER WOWSER

My hat is sincerely off to you!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:

WOWSER WOWSER WOWSER

My hat is sincerely off to you!
    Hot and fast my friend!  You and yours are always welcomed!  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said: before becoming a surgeon I worked at McDonalds for 6 years, truly valuable experience.  

This cracked me up Brent.  I worked at micky d's as well, tag me in for the next heart transplant, or pancake cook - I'm ready.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:

You are a marvel to watch in action. Gonna get me some "I wanta be like Brent" T-Shirts printed. Could make a fortune. 

Maddie loves pancakes.....just sayin.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Be mindful of your temps. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have no dog in this fight. However, what is the OE regulator psi?  I see the Bayou Classic is 10 psi. Heating quicker may in fact be more convenient but, ever stop and think slower may be better?  Heating steel, carbon steel, cast iron and other metals too quickly will cause warping. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great point and information @NPHuskerFL

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have no dog in this fight. However, what is the OE regulator psi?  I see the Bayou Classic is 10 psi. Heating quicker may in fact be more convenient but, ever stop and think slower may be better?  Heating steel, carbon steel, cast iron and other metals too quickly will cause warping. 
    @NPHuskerFL I think @theyolksonyou would agree with you based on the picture he posted just above your post.   Yikes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Options
    Does the Blackstone kick off a lot of grease when cooking?  I am thinking about building one into an outdoor kitchen but am afraid I'll have grease residue everywhere 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Pghegger said:
    Does the Blackstone kick off a lot of grease when cooking?  I am thinking about building one into an outdoor kitchen but am afraid I'll have grease residue everywhere 
    Depends on what you're cooking.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2016
    Options

Good points.  I don't go full bore, and I did it more to grt nice even heat across all the burners.  The OEM one would give a huge temp gradient left to right if running all burners on high.  Even when I waited 15minutes +

I will definitely "slow my roll" though.