Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Tomato plants being eaten

Options
Not sure what this creature is, but the damn things are eating the leaves off my plants. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? @Chubbs
Mckinney, TX
LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
Mini Max

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Tomato worm.  Harmless to you, but they eat the crap out of tomatoes.  Pull them off, toss in a bucket or coffee can with some rock salt.

They leave a trail of small black poop, so you can almost track them.  If you have kids, you can pay them by the worm to hunt them.  Worked for me as a kid and as a parent.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    That's a tomato hornworm. (More info here)

Just handpick hornworms from infested plants (this is the most effective means of managing them). Throw them into soapy water to kill them.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Crazy how much damage they did. I've found 4 so far on one plant. I have 4 others to check. 
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    @Photo Egg that would make things fun for sure.
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We had over 50 tomato plants last year.  I saw my fair share of these.  With that many plants, there was some for the worms and some for us.  :-)

Its funny how i never knew they existed and then one day i receive an education.  Where do they come from?  How far did they travel to find my plants?  Crazy.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Like a scene out of the old "B" movie Tremors...They do splatter.
    It will even take out wasps. It was money well spent.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    You should really get the camo version so the bugs don't see you coming.  ;)
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Has the bug a salt worked with tomato worms?  They have really thick skin, my old gen one bug a salt would definitely just bounce off.  I remember them being difficult to cut with a pocket knife when I was a kid.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    You should really get the camo version so the bugs don't see you coming.  ;)
    I do have the Camo version. The above were just google images. Very fun toy to take up time betweens beers when cooking on the Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    You can use a blacklight flashlight to find the hornworms (do it around dusk), they will glow.  The hornworms are also fond of pepper plants, and are voracious eaters in general.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Hand picking is unfortunately best way. You can buy some last bugs and release them in garden. Or you can set a bird feeder near the garden and they will find the worms and eat them but they could also eat your tomatoes. Tough predicament and I have them too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    @Chubbs will seven dust get ride of thse?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Legume said:
    Has the bug a salt worked with tomato worms?  They have really thick skin, my old gen one bug a salt would definitely just bounce off.  I remember them being difficult to cut with a pocket knife when I was a kid.
    I have no experience with the first gen model but the 2nd model that I have is fun. Yes, splattered the above caterpillars with no problem.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    @Chubbs will seven dust get ride of thse?
    Assuming you mean Sevin (carbaryl) it should but really with a few plants I would just hand pick but they blend in like crazy and you won't see the little ones. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Thanks for all of they helps guys. The Bug-A-Salt with a black light attachment and a couple drinks would be a lot of laughs. 
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Check out the link below. This is what I have used in my garden for a few years and it's enviromently friendly. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035HA0AK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1464293487&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pyrethrin&dpPl=1&dpID=41edsvMgFBL&ref=plSrch