Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Went to Restaurant Depot yesterday...

Options
wow.  What a place.  Picked up a USDA Choice whole filet mig tenderloin for $8.49 per lb, marked down from $11.49.  I will sous vide and sear it tonite on minimax.

I was awestruck at the place.  Whole non prime packer choice briskets were $2.39-$2.59 per lb (depending on quantity purchased), a great deal but i really like the costco primes at $2.79 per lb. If i have a special occaison like a Christmas prep to do, i will order SRF Gold one.   
cheese, cases of steaks and mass quans of veggies are spectacular deals atnRD.   I was there right before they closed so i didnt have time to explore the whole place.  

But thanks to what i learned on this forum, i got a $35 membership in kcbs and got the. One day pass to RD, and the nice lady at cust svc told me how i could get a perm free membership.   All i need is a sales tax license which in az is no big deal to obtain.  

So for those of you who are members of kcbs who have not been to RD, go. It is worth the experience.  If you have a sales tax license, aign uo for a free membership.   It is pretty cool

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @westernbbq  

Were you at the I17 location? I was in the store as they were closing yesterday - we probably passed each other.

fyi, you don't even need a business lisense or tax id.  Like you, I was prepared to join KCBS (this was about a year ago)  I went in to confirm the KCBS deal, and the lady at the desk asked if I had a company checkbook or business card.  I said sure, but my business was in no way food related.  She copied one of my checks and told me to come back in 15 minutes for my permanent membership card.

I've been in there around 30 times in the last year, and I still can't wipe the sh** eatin' grin off my face when I'm in the meat aisle.

Phoenix 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    RD is pretty wild.
    If you have one near you, check out Gordon Food Service.  It's like a smaller version of RD, and you don't need any membership.  I was really impressed by how clean and bright it was, and how friendly the staff was.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    yes i was.  i 17 and indian school late afternoon!   Too funny.   The place was quiet.  I couldnt believe all the lamb carcasses next to the fish area

I will bring one of my professional corp checks (PC) and business cards and see if this works
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    yes i was.  i 17 and indian school late afternoon!   Too funny.   The place was quiet.  I couldnt believe all the lamb carcasses next to the fish area

I will bring one of my professional corp checks (PC) and business cards and see if this works

I've checked out the Mesa location once.  It felt cramped, and overall quite dumpy in comparison.  Thought I'd save you the trip.

Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    I am in cent phx, 50th and indian school rd so i17 location takes me 10-15 mins to get to, depending on traffic.   The place is huge, a bit frumpy but i was there toward end of the day and it looked like cleanup from the days activities was going on.  but overall a great experience to see the quantities and prices.    I could see getting a case of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $40 that would last a fair amount of time. $1.59 per lb is incredible.   
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Thanks for the infor on mesa loc i assumed it was nicer.  I17 is it for me....
  • steventconners20
    Options
    I am in cent phx, 50th and indian school rd so i17 location takes me 10-15 mins to get to, depending on traffic.   The place is huge, a bit frumpy but i was there toward end of the day and it looked like cleanup from the days activities was going on.  but overall a great experience to see the quantities and prices.    I could see getting a case of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $40 that would last a fair amount of time. $1.59 per lb is incredible.   
    I was just in there last week and purchased 68lbs of pork shoulder to do pulled pork.  I love that place.  If you aren't concerned about "whole" chicken breast I would look at the Boneless, Skinless, Halves and pieces.  I use it for canning and they currently have it for .80 per lb.  
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have a friend with a membership.  He took me last week...  And I was blown away too!
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
     It's probably best I do not have access to this joint 
    Jacksonville FL
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    So any business card? I have my recruiting card i could take to the st louis location......

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)