Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wahoo

Options
pescadorzih
pescadorzih Posts: 926
edited May 2016 in Seafood
Down here in Mexico currently and was lucky enough to land a couple of tuna and wahoo. I know what to do with the tuna, but haven't cooked wahoo.
Tips, suggestions?
SE PA
XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dude, one of the most beautiful cooks ever.  Simply grill it.  No smoke wood, grill it with S&P and finish with a little fresh lemon.  Amazing fish!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Completely agree, it's fantastic.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Just had some tuna sashimi and blackened and ajillo style tuna for dinner. Nothing beats fresh fish the same day caught.
    SE PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    For some reason the pics aren't loading for me.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Sorry, you'll have to wait until I get home. I only have the tablet with me and no way to transfer the photos from the camera to the tablet.
    All I can say is I slayed them today. I am in CSL and I had 6 wahoo and 2 yellowfin in the boat by 9:00am. The wahoo ranged from 15-50# and the YFT were 8 and 15#.
    We lost another 3-5 wahoo also.
    SE PA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Took them in deep sea fishing in Turks & Caicos.  Ate the cheek meat as sashimi on the dock.  Grill it up simple and you'll have one of the best meals of your life.  Nice catch brother!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Took them in deep sea fishing in Turks & Caicos.  Ate the cheek meat as sashimi on the dock.  Grill it up simple and you'll have one of the best meals of your life.  Nice catch brother!
    We are off to the Turks in a couple weeks. We will be staying with friends on the North Caicos island that is not very populated near Whitby.
    Hope to spend the last couple days in Providenciales before heading home.
    Any tips?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    bgebrent said:
    We are off to the Turks in a couple weeks. We will be staying with friends on the North Caicos island that is not very populated near Whitby.
    Hope to spend the last couple days in Providenciales before heading home.
    Any tips?
    Only experience I have was in Providenciales.  Annual family trip 1992-2004.  I know it has changed a lot since I've been there so you should check out my recommendations.  Coco Bistro is a truly romantic setting for dinner, traditional french-island fare under lit palm trees.  Coyaba was nice for a great dinner with local island specialties.  Baci is an Italian place in Turtle Cove that used to make great pizza.  We'd go there when needing a break from seafood.
    If you have youngsters, the Conch farm on the East end of Provo offers a nice and educational tour.  Snorkeling Smith's reef, a wildlife sanctuary outside of Turtle Cove was really nice.  The huge increase in tourism since I've been there could make all of this moot.  Bring a full wallet and have fun brother!!
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Legume said:
    For some reason the pics aren't loading for me.
    Here is a pic of about 25-30# of fillets prior to going in the freezer to be frozen for the flight home.
    SE PA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Excellent catch!  Wahoo are amazing fish to catch. Insane speed on the attack.  Were you fast trolling for them?  Or did they just bite while on the tuna troll?  Or heck, mabe you cast bait to them?   Tell me... Tell me!!

The boat just down from us fast trolls for them and does pretty well. He runs at 12-15 Kts when starting home from the canyons.  He will do that for about 30 mins then packs it in - it is just not fuel efficient at all. Boat is on plane, but not in the sweet spot. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I'm in Cabo. I was fishing on a panga. Trolling at 7.5kts with rapalas on planers.
    We were only out for 4hrs. Most of the other boats didn't catch any wahoo. Most weren't using planers. I think that was the secret, along with the 10-12ft of flouro leader.
    I was driving the boat most of the time as he was constantly busy resetting the lines.
    I didn't feel like buying an additional cooler and pay for the extra bag fee to bring all of the fish back.
    I have a soft sided cooler that'll hold about 25-30# packed solid. That'll be my carry on.
    SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Okay guys here are some pics.
    Full 156qt cooler

Couple of wahoo

Me and Capt Jaime Gonzalez Jr

Only pic I got of the tuna. I had one other that was about half the size of this one.

Tuna sashimi

Tuna blackened and Ajillo style

SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    This guy wanted to steal a wahoo from the cooler when we were entering the marina.
    I almost lost the larger tuna to one as I was reeling it in.

SE PA