Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Shark with Asparagus

Options
xiphoid007
xiphoid007 Posts: 536
My father had some shark steaks for an indeterminate amount of time in the freezer, so I figured it was time to smoke them. I soaked in buttermilk overnight, as someone told me it helped clean up the taste of shark as it can have a bit of an ammonia taste. I then brined tm for about 2 hours in a salt/sugar/pepper/garlic powder brine. I rinsed and patted them dry.

I smoked the filets at 225 with some apple wood until they hit an internal temp of 140-145. I then foiled them until dinner. Temp was kept nice and steady with the Smobot!

I then took out the stone and cranked the grill to 400 raised direct to grill some asparagus. Simple olive oil, salt, and pepper. A little oven potatoes while the rest was cooking to round out the meal.

Pics are the freshly brined filets drying, smoked filets, and a plated pic. Thanks to @reinhart36 for the Smobot, check out http://www.smobot.com/.

Overall tasted good, nice and smokey, but I've never really had shark before, so it's hard to say if it was past its prime in the freezer, or I don't care for shark as much as other fish. Either way, still was a good dinner!

Anyone else have experience with shark on the egg?

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments