Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: KickStarter Cooler Fail

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
I thought the shipping on the RTIC was pretty bad but at least I got the cooler and it's been a great product. I'm glad I didn't get in on the "Coolest Cooler" that was being funded through KickStarter. This was the second largest KickStarter project ever. Not only are they not delivering, they are selling them on Amazon instead of shipping to prepaid KickStarter customers AND they are asking the KickStarter customers to pay an extra $97 for "expedited shipping". They apparently blew through the money raised and underestimated the cost of making the cooler. The customers are firing back by giving 1 star reviews on Amazon. Some angry customers have showed up at the business and even the owner's house.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/second-biggest-kickstarter-project-ever-spectacular-fail-105007489.html

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I thought that cooler clip was a joke. A spoof if you will. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    After reading the disruption of what it can do, $165 is way to low and wouldn't have pledged any money.  Now I am one of many waiting on the MEATER wireless temp probe that is scheduled to be out in July, I hope.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That definitely seems like BS that he sold a batch of them to Amazon rather than sending to the backers.    

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm waiting on a few Kickstarter s. Meater , misen knife, and wokmon. Hope they come through!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like it's turned into a ponzi scheme

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    My neighbor just got his Coolest Cooler. He's waited over 2 years. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    always helpful to keep in mind;
    (from the KS website)

Kickstarter is not a store. People aren't buying things that already exist — they're helping to create new things. Creating things isn't always easy. Some projects will go wonderfully, and others will run into obstacles. Be prepared for a little bit of each.

Creators are responsible for their projects. When you back a project, you're trusting the creator to do a good job, so if you don't know them personally or by reputation, do a little research first. Kickstarter doesn't evaluate a project's claims, resolve disputes, or offer refunds — backers decide what's worth funding and what's not.

Some projects won't go as planned. Even with a creator's best efforts, a project may not work out the way everyone hopes. Kickstarter creators have a remarkable track record, but nothing's guaranteed. Keep this in mind when you back a project.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Right, you aren't buying something, you are giving someone money to start their company in exchange for a first production run item. No production, no item.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Right, you aren't buying something, you are giving someone money to start their company in exchange for a first production run item. No production, no item.
    But they did make it to production... enough to sell on Amazon, but not enough apparently to fill backers' pre-orders. I'm betting there are some lawsuits brewing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2016
    Options
    These things are a riot.  I have been interested in (but haven't bought) one of those follow-me drones.  People always send me these kickstarter marketting videos and I have to explain to them "IT'S NOT A REAL PRODUCT!"  Present company excluded, I'm surprised how many people think that just because they can take your money for an idea, it means it's ready to ship AND will work as advertised.   :lol:

I understand that some of these things are just a fun risk and you like to support the entrepreneurs.  I can't keep track if it is out yet or not, but I like those wireless meat probes somebody is hawking.  I keep seeing the ads come up and am patiently waiting for an egghead certified review ;) before purchasing.

So @BigGreenCraig , does your friends Cooler work as advertised?  Curious how good the blender actually is and the battery life and such.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited April 2016
    Options
    a friend of mine has one of these and loves it.  he was lucky and got one of the early ones

quote from him when i sent him this article:  " I have mine with the extra speaker and extra battery. Works great! I went to a birthday party, I had the music playing and charged my phone at the same time. lol"
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

So @BigGreenCraig , does your friends Cooler work as advertised?  Curious how good the blender actually is and the battery life and such.
    I've only seen pics of it so I cannot vouch for it. It looks like the one in the commercial. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Never mind - phone malfunction

LBGE

Pikesville, MD