Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker or CyberQ for Mini BGE and KJ Classic?

Options
Hi guys..plz don't laugh but I'm thinking of a Pit Controller for the Mini and KJ Classic (LBGE size) and am leaning Cyber-Q Wifi or Stoker.

Quick question - does anyone know if the adapters from both companies fit the Mini?  The Stoker site only lists support for the Small BGE not the Mini but CyberQ says "all" egg sizes so am assuming their blower adapter fits the Mini's track.  Makes me wonder if the Stoker guys just assume no-one would ever be crazy enough to hook one up to a Mini..

Is the Small draft door track the same size as the Mini's?  I wouldn't think so given the big difference in size but not sure what size adapter I'd need for the Mini..

I'd consider the FB200 also but want more than one food probe.

Thx for any/all help..

- SB
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sometimes the price you pay for two adapters, two fans, then FOUR sets of probes is not much less than buying two FB200s since they come with everything (and three adapters).
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thx..would have to price everything out but would think two FB200's at $350 or so would still be more costly than a Stoker with a couple of fans and a few probes but something to think about..

BTW, it would be rare that I'd run both the Mini and KJ at the same time..probably just one or the other but I want more than one food probe in case I'm cooking multiple pieces of meat.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    To my knowledge, the Flame Boss is the only one that fits and works oin every kamado style cooker. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    A suggestion if you go with the Stoker. First, buy some braided heat shields for their probe wires. Second, if you want more probes, get the K adapter and buy higher temp probes from someone else. No heat shield needed on those.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    A suggestion if you go with the Stoker. First, buy some braided heat shields for their probe wires. Second, if you want more probes, get the K adapter and buy higher temp probes from someone else. No heat shield needed on those.
    Have you had problems frying the probe wires on the Stoker?  What max temps are you using them for?  I ask because I've had my Stoker for awhile and my probes seem to be in good shape. However, I only use it for Low and Slows (<325F at the max).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Have you had problems frying the probe wires on the Stoker?  What max temps are you using them for?  I ask because I've had my Stoker for awhile and my probes seem to be in good shape. However, I only use it for Low and Slows (<325F at the max).
    I haven't fried the wires since they don't really fry, but I have had them start to melt and short the wires. The temp is read where the two wires meet. So if the wire shorts, then it's not reading at the probe end anymore. I had it happen at around 250 from the heat in the gap between the outside and the plate setter. I ended up cutting the wire and remaking the probe shorter. Got some wire heat shielding from Amazon and it's been fine ever since. Just wish the heat shielding were a smaller diameter. If I had know about this problem before (I'm not the first), I would have just gone all aftermarket high heat K probes and not bought the Rock's probes. Thermoworks has a sale on open box ones for 1/3 off right now. You end up paying a little more overall, but you also end up with a better product.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.