Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MIniMax gasket - original or upgrade?

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
I have read a few conflicting reports on the new OEM gaskets. Some say they are really good, others say to replace them.  I replaced the crap OEM on my Large, and would not consider not having a Rutland on it, but what about on the MM?  If I am going to upgrade, I want to do it before the first cook. Thoughts?  
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I run the Rutland on my MM. Works perfectly. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Thanks! I am thinking I want to replace it just to have it done from day 1, but if I do not have to, why fix something that isn't broken?
    Thanks. 
    Large and MiniMax

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have my Rutland on standby in the garage. Will apply when the OEM blows. Time will tell my friend. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    My gasket has held up so far. Will be ordering a Rutland soon to have on hand. Since I will need another for my XL after the base is replaced. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Sounds like you have one on hand in anticipation of having it replaced. I will do it right when I get the egg, and not have to mess around with it later.  I did that with my large, and it was easy to put on when brand new. I'll do it again with the MM. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    The Large's gasket was a lot tougher to get off than this one, but I still need some refreshment. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All done!!!  Ready for a Rutland from @RRP which is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Thanks again Ron!
    Large and MiniMax

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    LOL. hopefully I didn't p*ss away more than twice the cost I normally pay to get gaskets  to my friends. Just the same stuff happens!

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Too late, but the current OEM gaskets seem fine to me!  I got my Medium and Large several years ago, and a clean burn pretty much eliminated the gaskets.  But I had them both replaced with just the regular BGE current replacement gasket, and I've done some clean burns and they seem just fine to me.  I would have suggested to go to the trouble only when you see a clear reason to do so.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL. hopefully I didn't p*ss away more than twice the cost I normally pay to get gaskets  to my friends. Just the same stuff happens!

Well I really appreciate it Ron. According to the tracking, it should be here tomorrow. 

@Theophan I heard the new gaskets were much better than the thin old ones. Regardless, once I put on the Rutland on my large, I was sold.  The issue with doing the first one, was that it was messy and slightly challenging to get the old adhesive off.  I wanted to prevent that, so I took off the new gasket right away and before the egg was assembled. Total removal took 10 min or 1 cool beverage, glue and all with no tools or scrapers. Super easy.  I know when I put on the Rutland, I will never have to do it again on this base. Short time suffering, long term gain.  At least that is the hope and plan. 
    Large and MiniMax

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    @Sea2Ski, Did you use heat gun to remove the gasket? Or did it just peel off?
    Just picked up my replacement base and need to put the rutland on this weekend.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @Sea2Ski, Did you use heat gun to remove the gasket? Or did it just peel off?
    Just picked up my replacement base and need to put the rutland on this weekend.
    @pescadorzih You can just peel off the gasket. No need to heat that up, just pull it off.... it is easy . But it was easier to remove the glue after heating. I just rubbed the glue off the base in toward the base with my thumbs. The glue acts like a strong rubber cement. It does not take a lot of heat to hit the sweet temperature, if it gets to hot, it actually becomes harder to remove. Heat 6-8 inch sections for about 30 seconds, and not much more. I used a blow drier on low.  I think it took about 45 mins-1 hour.   Warning, I did get a blister on one thumb....  Good luck!
    Large and MiniMax

• Actrak
    Options
    What diameter Rutland gasket would you use on a minimax? 5/8"?
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @Actrak. I am not sure.  I think that is what it is. You do not want round rope.  It is the “flat” gasket you are looking for. Save the time and energy and get it from @RRP. He will hook you up for the right stuff  right to your door. The only thing you need is the permatex gold adhesive which you can get at any car parts supply store.  
    Large and MiniMax

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,224
    Options
    Nice thread resurrection. I used the Rutland once on the XL.  Went back to the regular OEM many years ago after replacing the base and haven’t looked back. I have a Rutland for my medium that I bought 5 years ago. Haven’t needed it yet and will go with the OEM gasket if I have to replace it. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    I have the Rutland on my large and MM. took my time installing, and am happy with it on both.
    Large and MiniMax

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    other side of the old coin: lots of us do not have gaskets period. 5 Eggs and only one still has a gasket (no reason to replace when it goes). IMO the main reason for the gasket is to not damage the ceramic when closing. 
    PLEASE NOTE if i did decide on gaskets i would only buy from @RRP
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.