Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

51-Day Dry Aged Prime Rib Roast

Options
Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
I cruised by the meat section at Costco back on 1/3/16 and they had rib roasts in abundance due to New Years. For 10.89/lb, I couldn't pass up a Prime Grade one to try my hand at dry aging.

The plan was for 45 days of stinking up the beer fridge.

45 days hit on last Wednesday, but I slacked off through today.

Smelled nice and cheesy coming up from the basement. I trimmed around 1/4 inch off of each end.

I then sliced the roast into 10 steaks, 6 bone-in and 4 boneless.

The edges taste like blue cheese/butter and the interior is buttery and melt in your mouth. I vac sealed the lot and stuck 1 bone-in and 1 boneless in the fridge for later this week. The rest went into the freezer.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Dang!  Nicely done.  My mouth is watering.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    What time is dinner?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    That is fantastic I need to research and figure out how to do that
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Those look nice bro. I need to do that sometime. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice man!  Did you happen to weigh it prior to aging and then again afterward?  Curious of to what moisture loss percentage at 51 days with rack aging?  My guess would be around 35% to maybe 40%. How much of the exterior did you trim (if any) & will you be using the trimmings for anything in particular?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I already offered to take that rotten beef off your hands so you don't kill yourself and your family...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You kept rotting cow flesh in your fridge for 51 days sans divorce?   You must be beau coup!
    Options
    Nice!

Options
    Great work brother!  You will be rewarded.  Look forward to seeing the cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @nphuskerfl I only trimmed the ends a bit. That first cut shot was taking off about 1/8 of an inch to see what it looked like, and it was super tender so I just cleaned up the ends a bit and will use the ends as a jerky snack. No other trimming done.

I forgot to record the initial weight so I wasn't terribly concerned about the final measure, plus, I had been drinking.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    looks good. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Oh yeah... Good stuff!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look beautiful.  Looking forward to some cooked shots. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Awesome work.....man that was a deal on that slab!!!  How big total 14-15 lb?
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang!  That's some good looking stuff.  I want to do this, but it would be a tough putt getting my wife sold.  

On a different note....

I have to ask about the oranges?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the rate of weight loss slows down quite a bit.  not a linear thing.  the rind gets thick enough that water loss slows quite a bit.

going commando means the meat loses more water initially than the dry bags, but the rind on the dry bags is thinner toward 45 days, so they both end up about the same in terms of weight loss. (as per some info rec'd of the drybag folks a while ago)

i think if you want to go super-long, the dry bags are probably better for anything well over 45 days, say 60+.  i find a home fridge too dry for much longer. the meat can sometimes start to cleave apart at the fat seams much past 60 days.  not so great.  flavor is amazing though

i'd suggest that anyone wanting to try it might buy a dry aged steak first, and pay the premium.  just top see if you even like it.

it may be hard to find a 45 day steak commercially near you, but if you can, that's the one to try.  21/28 days is only a good start.  won't be a true test of whether you like it or not.

cheaper than buying a whole rib eye and waiting 45 days.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude, that looks pretty damn sweet. I need to buy another fridge to have space for meat projects.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Awesome looking!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm speechless...I so need to create space in the fridge for this...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:
    Awesome work.....man that was a deal on that slab!!!  How big total 14-15 lb?
    If I recall, it was around 22 lbs.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Can you send me your address again?  I'll be there in 24 hours.  Hungry, be-otch.
     Hope all those oranges didn't give the beef a citrus taste. :s

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Yep, I'm doing this again soon. Those look awesome. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
     Hope all those oranges didn't give the beef a citrus taste. :s
    Nope. 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Wow! I need to do this. Great job!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Did this Saturday for dinner. Weighed in at 2.2 lbs, around 2 inches thick.

I reverse seared it at 250 for the roast with some hickory and pecan until it hit 115, then wide-open for the sear, flipping every 30 seconds(4 times total). 

Maui Wowie!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Bravo 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC