Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Pork Butt, Fat Side Down??

Options
OK someone shed some light on whether to place the pork butt fat side down or up, I usually go with it up, thinking the fat cap will marinate the butt, I have seen both ways mentioned in recipes.  Thanks for any advise.
kycatsslh in Dayton, OH

Comments

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    100% agree with buzd504.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    As aaron Franklin says "there are two types of people in this world. Those who like fat side up, and those who like fat side down"

now ow I know he was talking about brisket, but he is a fat side up guy, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me
  • kycatsslh
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I have done fat side up with great results , however I think I will go with fat side down for the Superbowl Butt !!  I am actually smoking 2 so I can do one each way, problem solved.  Thanks again.
    kycatsslh in Dayton, OH
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    slovelad said:
    As aaron Franklin says "there are two types of people in this world. Those who like fat side up, and those who like fat side down"

now ow I know he was talking about brisket, but he is a fat side up guy, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me

Maybe one of the offset guys can chime in, but I believe with an offset the heat is coming across the top of the meat.

I've actually got an offset that I haven't cooked on yet.  Gonna start on making it new again this week.
    Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I believe AF's comments are made in relation to the style of cooker he is using. An off-set with the heat passing over the brisket means the cap is a layer of protection along with the direct rendering.  But I'm recalling comments from AF and/or his video series from days past.  
    Applying that to a BGE would lead you to cap down.  I don't think it makes much difference with butts, brisket another story.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Fat cap down seems to be popular because you won't lose your rub as the fat renders and you have more exposed meat to develop bark.  The concept of the fat basting your meat is kind of a myth - a butt has plenty of fat all through it.

Plus when your butt sticks to the grid, you are losing more fat cap, not meat.
    This is my answer also.  No scientific research from me, just the way I prefer to do it and is has worked well.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Or you could go with the fat cap on the side. You could choose right or left.  =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Or you could go with the fat cap on the side. You could choose right or left.  =)
    @jtcBoynton ... Come now, this is a pork butt ... if it's on the side, then the fat cap needs to go towards the rear ... or is it the front?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Homebrewguy
    Options
    I'm on the UP side of the fence. 
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Cut the fat cap off. Plenty of fat inside to render out and keep moist, plus you get more bark that way. Or up... or down... whatever smokes your pork butt.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @jtcBoynton ... Come now, this is a pork butt ... if it's on the side, then the fat cap needs to go towards the rear ... or is it the front?
    You could put four on at one time and make a fort with them. Fat cap to the outside of course.   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Jeez, just use a joetisserie and have the fat cap everywhere, well, except the sides.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Doesn't matter with pork butt. Briskey on the egg, I'm down with that!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    On an egg go fat side down

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lewisj82 said:
    Cut the fat cap off. Plenty of fat inside to render out and keep moist, plus you get more bark that way. 
    This.  Plus it means the fat is in the trash and not in the drip pan or some other messy place to clean.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    If you watch enough Aaron Franklin videos, he actually states to place the fat cap and point towards the heat source. As I interpret this, the fat is I tended to protect the meat from the heat so that the portion closest to the heat doesn't dry out. In an offset smoker threat comes across the top. In the egg it comes from the bottom, so I put fat down.

As I always cook my butt turbo style, I think fat down is even more important. The fat renders very well and I wind of with a crispy covering of fatty bark.

Fat doesn't penetrate the meat. This has been well proven to me. Here's the article that I feel proves it.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_fat_caps.html

So I always cook fat down, bone down, etc. Basically whatever is going to protect the meat from the direct radiant heat from the indirect stone.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Never had a bad butt off the egg.  Orientation of the fat is probably irrelevant in the grand scheme on the egg.  More hand wringing than important.  Rub it, cook it either l & s or turbo and eat well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cottonseed
    Options
    Fat cap down on eggs because of the direct heat coming from bottom.

I trim the cap a little bit and score it.

Fat does not "render down" into the meat as many think.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Trim the fat cap down to 1/4 " or less. You will have twice the bark. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"