Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Slow cooked" Catfish

Options
Got a new recipe I'm trying out later.  Have had nice success blackening catfish in a CI skillet @500 degrees, but this calls for going an hour plus at around 200-225.   The directions say to get it "as far away from the fire as possible", so I know I'm going with the grates at higher/regular level.   Should I go indirect as well?   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Light fire on side- I would go indirect and put fish opposite fire
    Greensboro, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Indirect in the center., 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Finished product.   It was pretty good.    Nothing that will change your life, but I'd have it again.    I'll take my blackened in the CI over this for sure though.   Worth having just for something different for catfish besides blackened or fried.  Cooked around 200 for a little over an hour, indirect heat.   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What's the sauce? Hard to beat blackened or fried cat- but yours makes me want to try it another way. Nice job
    Greensboro, NC
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Mixture of chicken stock (couldn't find seafood stock), oil, 3 limes, and 2 TBS of the rub which consisted of black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, onion powder, and salt.   Definitely not a dish for someone who doesn't like pepper.

Agreed, very hard to beat those two but nice to have this as a change of pace once in a while.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone