Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on value

Options
Got a medical diagnosis a little over a year ago that mostly prevents me from using my egg. In fact, I have egged one time in the last year. It does not make sense for me to keep it. I've been deliberating over this for nearly a year and am convinced that I need to get rid of it so please don't convince me to do otherwise. The purpose of this thread is to come up with an acceptable value to ask for when selling everything. Here is what I have: Large BGE - never has been in direct rain/snow it resides under a covered porch. No cracks or chips in anything. Large BGE platesetter. Large cast iron platesetter. Cast iron grate (never used), CGW swing-grate (2 level), fish-bones stainless charcoal grate, "the claw" platesetter removal tool, original charcoal grate, original stainless large cooking grid/grate, BGE roast rack - never used, ceramic lid, cast adjustable smoke cap, BGE pizza stone, ash pan, std BGE nest, grate lifter too., ash removal tool, Digi-Q II, and a few various other things. So what is an acceptable asking price?
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Is it in a nest? Or just sitting on the ground? If you have it in a nest I would say start at 650.00. You should be close there.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    It's in the nest. I have nearly three times what you're recommending invested.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If it were me I'd ask around $1K for the lot. Breaking it up may generate more or less. Sorry you have to part with it. I know it can't be easy to say goodbye. Either way I hope you'll chime in here still. :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sorry to here about the medical issue & I hate to hear your gonna part with your egg.  

I agree with the above of $650ish.  You may try to sell the Digi-Q by itself cause you might see a higher $$$ return on that portion of your investment.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hard to comprehend a diagnosis that negates your egg but I'll take that at face value.  I'd say $750.  Sorry you're in this position.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hibby
    Options
    Ok  thanks for the advice. To Craigslist it goes.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Unfortunately the accessories kind of get lost in value when selling with an egg. It might be worth selling the accessories separate. Especially the Digi-Q
    I agree, I think you will get more by selling the add-ons separate from the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Where are you located? I know a few people looking for a used egg.. will pass it on
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ditto ^^^^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Egg, nest, basic accessories for $650.  Digi-Q and cast iron parts including swing rack seperate out.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    What are do you live in? Could effect the price. Also. Can you message me with some i for on the digi q. I might be interested in buying

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your situation, man.  I'm in Ohio.  Let me know if you still want to sell it.  I'd be interested.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hard to imagine such a diagnosis. Whatever diet you are facing has to be cooked on something. Regardless, I hope it works out for you.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Hard to imagine such a diagnosis. Whatever diet you are facing has to be cooked on something. Regardless, I hope it works out for you.
    I also hope everything goes well for you. I'm like Carolina Q hard to imagine and I hope and pray I never know. Good Luck my friend
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Got a medical diagnosis a little over a year ago that mostly prevents me from using my egg. In fact, I have egged one time in the last year. It does not make sense for me to keep it. I've been deliberating over this for nearly a year and am convinced that I need to get rid of it so please don't convince me to do otherwise. The purpose of this thread is to come up with an acceptable value to ask for when selling everything. Here is what I have: Large BGE - never has been in direct rain/snow it resides under a covered porch. No cracks or chips in anything. Large BGE platesetter. Large cast iron platesetter. Cast iron grate (never used), CGW swing-grate (2 level), fish-bones stainless charcoal grate, "the claw" platesetter removal tool, original charcoal grate, original stainless large cooking grid/grate, BGE roast rack - never used, ceramic lid, cast adjustable smoke cap, BGE pizza stone, ash pan, std BGE nest, grate lifter too., ash removal tool, Digi-Q II, and a few various other things. So what is an acceptable asking price?
    Just like others have asked - without causing you grief can or will you give us some sort of idea of what diagnosis has lead to your belief you can never egg again? I personally have been through cancer and am living with type 2 diabetes and have learned how to egg and keep my health in sync. I sincerely hope you can too!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hibby
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm in central Ohio. About 40 miles east of Columbus. I really didn't want to get into the specifics of the diagnoses. Just to be clear, I'm not precluded from eating grilled food. The need to get rid of the egg is driven by personal choices and behavior changes related to two fairly serious diagnoses I received in January of 2015. Some people (me) can't successfully do "moderation". I need to get rid of it.
  • grillwell
    Options
    Good luck @Hibby.  This is clearly a big step for you and just know you are not the first to challenge the "moderation" devil.  Fight the good fight my friend.  You can win.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    @Hibby best reason to off the egg.

Good luck, no physical item is worth personal grief.  I hope you get top dollar, but whatever you get, be happy and move on.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

I know the Egg itself won't ship well but you may want to package all the Eggsessories and post the package on Ebay and see where the bid goes. You can set a minimum bid and "buy now" for a given price. 

Just a thought. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Keep in mind a secondhand Egg has no warranty so that may (or may not) impact what someone is willing to pay for it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk