Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant/Chukkar Recipe?

Options
I recently had a successful and fun pheasant/chukkar hunt (well, yesterday in fact) and was wondering if anyone has a good method to cook these. Im the one on the left btw.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,592
    Options
    Great pic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    A bow?

wrap in bacon and don't over cook as they get dry fast. Another good option is poppers- cut of breast, piece of jalapeño, little cream cheese, wrap in bacon and add a little brown sugar on top. Grill direct or indirect until bacon is crispy. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Haha Wolfpack. ..yeah a couple guys tried bow and arrow. We gave them a couple seconds to try before we shot. It was hilarious seeing arrows flying through the air when the bird flew!
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    350 will work- cook until bacon is crisp. 

If they hit any with the bow I am impressed- that's not easy. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Is that a silver pigeon? I bought a 20 about 3-4 years ago and love it. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishindoc
    Options
    The chukkar? Like a grouse...similar in taste to quail just bigger
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    The chukkar? Like a grouse...similar in taste to quail just bigger
    Sorry was talking about the o/u on your shoulder. Looks like my beretta. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    They're horrible!  I'll PM you my address so they can be disposed of properly :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishindoc
    edited January 2016
    Options
    O..ok.  yep, a beretta. Lol, thought you had some other name for Chukkar
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I dont have specific recipes, because I never write anything down that I cook. Basically, use them like you would chicken, just keep in mind, they will get tougher and drier than chicken.  There is a fine line between not safe to eat and tough/chewy.  

That being said - 

1) bacon wrapped, jalepeno variations are my favorite

They will be better if you get thin bacon or microwave the bacon to precook it a little.  The pheasant will be ready before the bacon, leads to overcooking the bird.  Kind of like cooking small bacon wrapped shrimp.

2) chicken fried - cut breast into strips, batter, fry.

I like to use thinner pieces of meat when frying.  I use a basic eggwash and then I use flour, and either panko or dehydrated potato flakes to help give an extra crunch.

3) smothered pheasant 

Smothering a whole bird works well since it keeps it juicer, and makes the leg meat easier to eat.  With jalepeno poppers or frying, you really only use the breast meat and some thigh meat.  smothering the bird makes it easier to pull the rest of the leg meat off from around the tendons.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have recipes, drives my wife crazy I don't measure or keep records of anything I cook.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Smother the bird?? In what??
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    the neuberg recipe that richard posted is a great recipe, i have also made it many times with turkey and chicken
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jak7028
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Smother the bird?? In what??
    Just like you would make "Smothered Steak" - like a said, I dont have recipes of my own, since I just add what I have and do different combinations.  

Basically, cut the bird in half or in quarters, and dredge the pieces in flour and seasoning.  Brown them in a frying pan in butter, then pour a sauce over them, and finish cooking them by putting the whole pan in the oven or covering it on low heat on the stove. 

Sauce can be more homemade, with a base of half and half, milk or cream and use flour to thicken if necessary.  Or you can go an easier route and use cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soups.  

Cook bird in the sauce until the meat reaches 165 degrees internal temp.  Below are two recipes I googled and found. I have not used them, but they do a better job explaining the "smothering" process then me.

Using canned soups:

http://www.sheknows.com/recipes/smothered-pheasant

Using half and half: (this recipe seems a little bland, I would add more seasonings)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216196/smothered-pheasant/

Not perfect recipes by any means, but at least it is another idea of how to cook the birds.  I still have about 15 of them to cook.  As good as it is, I try not to eat everything chicken fried or wrapped in bacon.
  • jak7028
    Options
    the neuberg recipe that richard posted is a great recipe, i have also made it many times with turkey and chicken

This recipe does look good, I am going to have to try it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    A guy on the old forum used to do pheasant Newburg. It was really good. Don't know if you can search recipes over there. You might find it here if you search. You can mix the bird meat with venison and ground pork belly and put it in a Brit "game pie" with a hot water pastry. Google Paul Hollywood for that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishindoc
    Options
    Okie doke, thanks everyone..gonna look into these recipes :)