Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Sunday's Brisket and Shoulder cook for Packers-Cards tailgate 46lbs of MEAT!

Options

The brisket came from Costco.  16.5 lbs for $2.59/lb.  At that level, I will make hamburger with these bad boys!  The brisket cooked for about 24 hours (a little over) and the shoulders cooked for 15 hrs.  I didn't have time to photograph the meat shredded and sliced up at the tailgate- I smoke it at home, wrap up in foil, put in a cooler and head out to the stadium but it was all a hit.  it was the first time at one of our tailgates that there was a line for food.  it all got consumed in about 40 minutes.  Lawry's season salt for the dry rub on the brisket - applied  2 days ahead of time and left uncovered in the fridge, a beautiful pellicle effect happened, and the boneless shoulders, directly from Sysco had Rendezvous seasoning as dry rub for 1.5 days ahead of time, uncovered in fridge for the same reason.  Tecate light in the drip pan.  Royal Oak lump, large cherry chunks from Home Depot and the results were incredible.  210 guru setting and 1.5 hrs per lb of individual cut of meat.  Used the ADj rig setup with spider and CGS stone for indirect.  Didn't need to add fuel but i did throw in cherry chunks along the way.   The shoulders were 9.5-10 lbs each and the brisket was 16.5 lbs.  Awesome awesome awesome results.  I am not a huge chaser of the smoke ring but all the meat had a beautiful pink smoke ring that was perfect.  crust formation was right in the money and I was very pleased with how the whole cook turned out.  At the tailgate many of the younger female guests wanted their picture taken with the meat and the cook.  needless to say, it was a fun day.  And, even though I am from WI, I had to root for the cards in this one, and it was a beatdown of the highest order.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good load of meat there brother!  Where's the pictures of the "younger female guests with the meat and the cook"? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Wow.  You really took care of that tailgate.  That's a lot of mighty fine food right there.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    awesome, can't argue with that!

i hear you on the smoke ring.  i often don't see it, and I don't care.  but my last brisket had the most well defined smoke ring i've seen in a long time.  pecan wood for smoke.  you just never know!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Good load of meat there brother!  Where's the pictures of the "younger female guests with the meat and the cook"? ;)
    You know, you've reminded me...i gotta see if i can track down some of those picts!   I have to admit, a few beers clouded my memory that day!