Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham questions - Help

Options
I purchased a 14lb fresh ham (not cured or brined). I've been looking for a good recipe. I realize this is pork like the ham like, which is what I want. Could use some help on this one as I would like to serve it for Christmas dinner. Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm not clear on what you want. You're just going for roasted pork?  
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
     I realize this is pork like the ham like, which is what I want
    Not sure what you mean here. 

"Ham" means two things:

-the cut of meat which is the rear leg of an animal (any animal)

-one of those from a pig which has been cured

you have the first, which is a roast actually. If cooked like a roast, you'll end up with a white-meat (some dark meat too) roast. It does have different flavor than a loin roast, because it has fat, connective tissue, dark meat, and is a tougher cut (it works).

you can cook it like a regular ham with all the mustard, sugar, smoke, etc. It will be different than "ham" though. Because it ain't a cured ham. 

You can roast it with smoke, naked, like any 'roast'. A little smoke (like a roast beef), or a lot. The ham can take it

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mikemiller69gs
    Options
    Sorry, I miss-typed. I know it won't be like a cured ham. That is fine. I was just looking for some decent directions. Should I roast at 350 or should I do longer cook at 225-250? I've done many many briskest, butts, rib roasts etc but I'm struggling with this. I usually do dry run with something new but I did not this time