Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your EDC pocket knife?

Options
Not your hunting or fishing knife. Your M-F 8-5 type pocket knife. And why that one?
Do you go fixed or folder? Do you not have one? Do you work in office or outdoors?
Boom

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    weekdays damascus boker, office and job sites

always have this knife with me as well in the truck, buck akonua

usually have my ax with me as well as a chainsaw, the axe is a svante djarv little viking axe used for carving, yes i carved that little spoon with it and chopped those limes. usually only carry it when i drink though so its not an office axe =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Microtech Troodon......an out-the-front automatic.  Had it for close to 10 yrs, bought it to carry in my flight suit in the helicopter.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I carry 3 everyday. Mostly SOG right now
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    I generally don't like spoons, but that hand carved one is nifty @fishlessman.  Let me axe you, how long did it take to carve?  Bwahahaha.

I don't have anywhere to carry a knife, but here's a good thread for reference.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168832/what-is-your-edc-knife/p1
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Spyderco paramilitary 2

Jacksonville FL
  • bearsgonefishin
    Options
    Spyderco. cant go wrong

LBGE

North East Florida

Go Jags

What I would like for every football team to do that we play is to sit there and say, ‘I hate playing against these guys' -Nick Saban

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've had this CRKT m16-01kz for 4 years and love it. Lost the tanto blade version, which I preferred.
    Columbia River Knife and Tool M16-01KZ 3-Inch Zytel Folding Knife with Autolawk and Spear Point Razor Edge Blade Black

I've been looking for something else, but can't seem to find anything that matches the low profile in the pocket and lightness of this knife. 

I bought this Kershaw Brawler but its not as good in terms of how high it sits in the pocket, and its much bulkier.

Also have this Kershaw cryo, which was top-rated in a lifehacker poll. It sits low enough in the pocket, but is even heavier and bulkier than the Brawler, so I only carry the latter two on the weekends. I like their Speedsafe opening though.

I think @nolaegghead and @travisstrick have a bunch of knives (especially trav). They might chime in. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not working for anybody but myself just now. All folders.

I keep a Kershaw Ken Onion design "Needs Work" in my car, mostly for cutting branches or saplings for walking sticks. Another Ken Onion design, a Chive w. a composite blade w. I think S30V for the cutting edge. Its in my kitchen utility drawer, gets used for anything, including wood carving.

Earlier, carried a Barlow w. 2 blades, or during middle age, a little Sargent w. 3 blades. Almost tiny, but good steel that could take and hold an edge. Fine for package opening, pencil sharpening, fingernail cleaning, etc.

Have bushcraft non folders.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    another Kershaw carrier here.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I buy the cheapest most durable looking knife I can get my hands on. That way when I lose it or it breaks I'm not upset.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    I buy the cheapest most durable looking knife I can get my hands on. That way when I lose it or it breaks I'm not upset.
    I have a couple of Mora wood carving knives. Around $20. Good core steel. The plastic sheaths leave lots to be desired. I did get upset when I misplaced 1, but it was just 'cause I needed to use it. The company makes lots of very good blades of all sorts, up to 8" long, few more than $30.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I've been looking for one to carry for a while now. I hate bulky and something that's heavy.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I carry a kershaw leek.  It looks nice, not too pricey if I lose it, and holds a nice edge.  I manage a furniture store so it gets used a lot opening boxes, cutting plastic etc.  it's not bulky or heavy in my slacks but it feels solid in your hand.  Plus the way it opens is just sweet.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I've been looking for one to carry for a while now. I hate bulky and something that's heavy.  
    Spyderco has allot of offerings that fit the bill. I lost my Paramilitary 2 a few months ago and ordered another the next day, light, sharp, just right size and quality. Will not be without it. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Well when I am going Colonial they are these.

The hunting sword is actually the tip of a pre-WWII Norwegian cavalry sword.  It was broken in the bombing of a military museum in Norway during WWII.  A black powder friend of mine won it in a blanket match and gave it to me.  He is a master blacksmith, and showed me the forge marks that were put on it when it was re-tempered.  What looks like rust in this picture is just dark spots on the old steel.  Sucker is sharp a razor, good steel.  I have to warn people who want to handle it.  The skinning knife was made from a saw blade by my Great Grandfather.  The clever I found in a vacant house.  Someone was pounding it a lot with a hammer to cut something.  The leather is by Pepe's Possibles.

Everyday?  Spyderco

On what my kids call my man-purse, a Kershaw

Bag carries more than a knife.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited December 2015
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Davec433 said:
    I have a couple of Mora wood carving knives. Around $20. Good core steel. The plastic sheaths leave lots to be desired. I did get upset when I misplaced 1, but it was just 'cause I needed to use it. The company makes lots of very good blades of all sorts, up to 8" long, few more than $30.
    20 bucks isn't bad I wouldn't mind losing one of those. I was rocking a gerber for awhile. We were on a boat and it just fell apart. Didn't feel bad when I tossed it in the drink.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Benchmade for me. Usually carry my adamas but also have a presido for lighter weight.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Microtech Troodon......an out-the-front automatic.  Had it for close to 10 yrs, bought it to carry in my flight suit in the helicopter.

Here's a pic:

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
     Benchmade 3150 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    Options

From left to right:

The Boker damascus trapper with mastodon bone scales. 
    Benchmade Osborne 940
    Kershaw Skyline and a Skyline with s30v steel and blue g10 scales
    3 Victorinox Cadets
    Spyderco Endura
    Spyderco Delica

These are just a few of many knives I carry. My top two are the Benchmade 940 with the Kershaw Skyline in a close second. Both solve almost all of the reasons folks don't like to carry their knives. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

From left to right:

The Boker damascus trapper with mastodon bone scales. 
    Benchmade Osborne 940
    Kershaw Skyline and a Skyline with s30v steel and blue g10 scales
    3 Victorinox Cadets
    Spyderco Endura
    Spyderco Delica

These are just a few of many knives I carry. My top two are the Benchmade 940 with the Kershaw Skyline in a close second. Both solve almost all of the reasons folks don't like to carry their knives. 
    I like the size of my 3150 but that 940 is sweet. I have the Skyline too. It's my second favorite. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    My newest is a 915 triage and a spyderco pm 2. Love em but they are a beast to carry everyday. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    @Davec433

I'll sell you two of these for $19.......should fit the bill!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Swiss Army by Victornox here. No need to carry anything more. I usually keep it in the center console. I only need trauma shears at work.
  • RRP
    edited December 2015
    Options

Here's a pic:

Holly Crap Lump Man! That's one serious pig sticker! I thought my $45 Kershaw was over the top for an EDC knife but $400?  :o
    Dont take that wrong...I'm just jealous! 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Swiss Army by Victornox here. No need to carry anything more. I usually keep it in the center console. I only need trauma shears at work.

Got this one at the Victorinox factory store in Switzerland in 1988.  Everything still works!!  Even the ballpoint pen next to the tooth pick still writes.  This is the biggest one they made at the time.

Large knife, small knife, file/hacksaw, ruler/fishscaler, scissors, pliers, magnifier, phlipps, flat blade / bottle opener, and can opener on one side.  Cork screw, mini flat blade, chisel, leather punch, and another flat blade on the other side.  Ballpoint pen, tweezers, and toothpick on the sides.  Then the case has a bunch of stuff too.  Every boy scout's dream!

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    RRP said:

Here's a pic:

Holly Crap Lump Man! That's one serious pig sticker! I thought my $45 Kershaw was over the top for an EDC knife but $400?  :o

Didn't pay that much.  This was in Microtech's hay day, before they went belly up and came back.  I bought it used off a guy on knifeforums.com and could probably sell it for double what I paid for it.  Still a lot for a knife, but it's before I owned a business and had four kids......got to buy all kinds of cool $hit back then.  :(
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Here's a pic:

Didn't pay that much.  This was in Microtech's hay day, before they went belly up and came back.  I bought it used off a guy on knifeforums.com and could probably sell it for double what I paid for it.  Still a lot for a knife, but it's before I owned a business and had four kids......got to buy all kinds of cool $hit back then.  :(
    LOL - I understand! Cool knife anyway! This is a true story...I grew up in the 50's in the small town of Centalia, MO near Columbia. There were businesses there but only two carried knives...the Western Auto store and the Ben Franklin 5&10. Well, the BF stocked many styles at various prices. The most desirable was a cheap "switch blade" that all of us had to have, bought, and soon broke. Then we would save up and go buy a replacement! I swear when I was like 12 years old MO outlawed switch blades but I have forever been fascinated with them! Guess that's why the spring opened Kresaw appeals to me.
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Fishless, had to go and dig out my 2 old Bucks, haven't ever run into anyone else that had an Akosua, mine is in need of some refurbishing. My everyday is the Kershaw.  Don't know what made the holes in the sheath!     

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I prefer a gentleman's folder for on person carry.  Just for opening stuff, not for protection.  Military fixed blade and leatherman in the truck.  Zombie killer hanging on the side of my night stand.

Benchmade is my daily choice normally.  I made the mistake of buying a William Henry and have never carried it even 1 time.  It's too dang pretty to carry, and is most likely destined for ebay. 

Cool thread idea btw.

Phoenix