Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is why the adj rig, multigrid + bbq guru setup are so important to have

Options

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

The brisket was put on the night before- a 15 pounder on sale at safeway for 2.79/lb.  Lawry's season salt was the only stuff I put on it.  The ribs were added the next morning, steady temp due to guru/pit viper setup at 215F.  Put the ribs on before I went to work and nine hours later when I got back the ribs were perfect,  the brisket needed to stay on a little more. I cranked up the temp via the guru setting to 270, and after another 2 hours, the brisket was perfect. 

The adjustable rig setup, plus the flexibility to add something midway through the cook are fantastic to have.  I used about 10 lbs of royal oak charcoal and there was a lot left over afterward.  I did put tecate light in the drip pan too.

I was in a hurry to get all this together and scramble for a trip to Philly for the Army-Navy game so I didn't take the time to photograph the finished products but every time I use the BGE, with the ideal combination of aftermarket accessories, I am awed, humbled and subsequently treated like a rockstar to those with whom I share the fruits of my labor with.  This was all a big hit!

Total cook time for Brisket:  25 hours, 17 minutes.

Total cook time for ribs:  9 hours 23 minutes.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    15# brisket took 25 hrs that's insane even at 215℉ pit temp. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Any sliced shots. Nice setup man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• westernbbq
    Options
    I thought that the time was way too long as well but the brisket was 'tight' and  I've realized you go by how the meat 'feels' rather than being a slave to times and temperature guides.  I cook it until it breaks down, then she's ready to go.  I didn't take picts of the finished product, but i did freeze some.  i'll try to remember to take some photos. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @westernbbq Absolutely!  Always by feel. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    That is a thing of beauty !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great cook. I like the way you make the accessories work for you. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Blind99. It is so fun to utilize the efficiency of the BGE and the versatility of multiple item cooks given the use of certain accessories. I was traveling across country last week to connect with some buddies for the ultimate guys football weekend.  The main guy who arranged it all loves ribs and brisket so i figured why not do both and bring them along as a thank you?   With a little advanced planning, accomplishing this is easy.  Every time i use the big green egg, i am reminded of how much joy it brings me and how much joy it brings those who get to enjoy what is cooked on it!
    Egg ON bretheren!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Lookign great!!  My favorite part of a temp controller is that I can set my egg up and rub my meat and start my egg... then go to bed for a few hours. Wake up in the middle of the night and drop my meat on and go straight back to bed (maybe awake for 3.48 minutes total)  Or just wake up in the morning to a perfectly stable clean burning egg and throw on a rack of ribs to low and slow till lunch.  I love that flexibility. I'll always have an egg because of this ease of use.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Lookign great!!  My favorite part of a temp controller is that I can set my egg up and rub my meat and start my egg... then go to bed for a few hours. Wake up in the middle of the night and drop my meat on and go straight back to bed (maybe awake for 3.48 minutes total)  Or just wake up in the morning to a perfectly stable clean burning egg and throw on a rack of ribs to low and slow till lunch.  I love that flexibility. I'll always have an egg because of this ease of use.

the ability to do an all night smoke and go to bed is key.  I formerly had a Pitt's 'N' Spitt's combo unit, and I loved it.  The only problem was that the firebox had to be reloaded every couple of hours, so I was in a constant setting the alarm and waking up every two hours process.  After doing this for a long time, it got to the point where I didn't even want to eat the food I made as I was tired, my back was sore and my sinuses were full of soot.  The good thing about the PNS unit though was that with a full firebox, the temperature was ROCK STEADY at 220F by opening the wheel draft door on the door to the firebox by 1/4 turn, and by setting the baffle on the smokestack wide open.  It never failed to hit  the perfect temperature.  I've yet to master the BGE temp achievement without the assistance of a Guru and pit viper setup.  Maybe in time i'll get it figured out.

But, I look forward to pulling whatever has been cooking off the BGE and actually enjoying it and the lack of a need to babysit the smoker over a long-term cook is well worth the sacrifice of achieving predictable temperatures I had with the pitts n spits unit.  I'd rather get some sleep the night before a big party than be up all night off and on ensuring that the firebox had fuel.