Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider + 13" stone or 2 half stone for indirect?

Options
Hello,

I just picked up the adjustable rig package and will be ordering a spider for my wok.  I already have a platesetter, but, want to get either the 13" stone or 2 half stone for another way to do indirect.  I foil my platesetter to catch drippings anyway, so I can't see a problem with foiling up both half stones to do indirect.

Advice please...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I like the idea of two half stones.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've been wanting to get a half stone setup for my XL. It would make for good dual zone cooking. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I've been wanting to get a half stone setup for my XL. It would make for good dual zone cooking. 
    I have an XL and do dual zone cooking without any stone, just send the lump to the back of the egg

It has worked beautifully for me
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    thanks for ordering the rig.  

If you are not doing big cooks (4+ butts, 2 big briskets, 6 racks of ribs) that require the spider to hold the stone, I'd go with the 15" half stone(s).  They are a great fit on the spider and under a grid sitting on the fire ring - create a half direct and indirect set-up at the fire ring.   

You can use the half stone on the rig to do a similar raised grid set up.  Can use two half stone on the rig for a full indirect set up.  I would not use two 15 half stones on the spider for indirect, might be to restrictive with airflow.

With the half stone hanger holding the 15 half stone in the Rig's upper notches and a half grid, can  go 1-1/2 grids.

You can do similar with the 13 half stone but the coverage is better with the 15 half.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
           Very cool thread. I need to get a half stone (own and love an AR/woo and spider). My dad uses half stones a lot with his KJ, I think there are times they are useful. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Do look at Tom's stainless steel drip pans.  They are great.  I wrap the pans in foil to make cleanup a breeze.  Buy some 1/2" thick kiln posts ( http://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/ceramic-spacers-3-set-starting-5-99-set.html ) as spacers to raise the drip pan.  You won't be sorry.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    @tjv Thanks for all the info!  I think the 15" half stone would make a better dual zone.  I have an older fire ring with 5 shallow notches (more like dimples).  If I get the 5 leg spider, would I need the 3 leg spider later on if my fire ring ever needs to be replaced?  I have the 3 legged platesetter and don't have an issue with the 5 dimples...

@Jeepster47 I'll have to add some kiln posts to my order!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.