Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime New York Strip

Options
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I decided to do a Prime NY Strip for myself and a filet for my wife that we got on sale at our local grocery store. I have a Large BGE and really have enjoyed it. Reverse seared to internal temp of 120 then seared at 400 using cast iron grate for 90 seconds per side. Here are the results. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Comments

• A5firearms
    Options
    Nice cook!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Why would anyone criticize that?  It looks great!

Welcome to the forum!

NOLA
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    You are not going to get any criticism from me..That looks Fantastic congrats..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Peytonwat
    Options
    I was hoping to have more browning and less of the pink smokey color on the crust. I didn't use any wood and don't know why this happened.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  Looks great brother!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me! Welcome aboard!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    I criticize your lack of invitation to dinner...  =) 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Criticism?  No way. Looking good
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Nailed it!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    "Sweet", welcome.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Peytonwat said:
    I was hoping to have more browning and less of the pink smokey color on the crust. I didn't use any wood and don't know why this happened.
    First off welcome aboard and damn what an entry with that steak.  Just a suggestion on the color/crust, you may trying drying the meat with a paper towel before cooking.  Wet/moist meat won't sear nearly as good as dry.  Again awesome cook!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Peytonwat
    Options
    Ahhhh, excellent point of the moisture on the steak before the sear. I did rest it in foil and it was moist. I'll give that a try for the next one. Also, do you suppose the added moisture would contribute to a more chared taste?
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Whenever I reverse sear I get that redish color as well... My two thoughts are to Trex or to use a CI skillet for the sear.
  • Peytonwat
    Options
    Phatchris, thank you for the thoughts. I just finished reading up on Trex from Nakedwhiz.com and that's exactly what I'm looking to achieve!!! I really appreciate all the kind words and great advise from everyone. This is great!!!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Looks most eggcellent from here!!  You can try throwing some butter on before the sear to help with color. Most here will recommend the reverse sear over TREX. It's easier to do in an egg and gives equal results. (trex can be difficult because it's not easy to lower the temp significantly on an egg and keep a clean fire.)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    The only thing I have to say is where is mine??  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I've become a forward sear(TRex) fan but I'm doing it with 2 eggs because of the bad smoke mentioned above.  Another thing you could try is getting the meat closer to the flames either with a low grid or by filling your lump up higher.  OR you could go a total different direction and use cast iron.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Peytonwat
    Options
    What is your process with the CI pan?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    That particular cook I had made some bacon and sprouts in that pan.  I left some of the bacon grease in the CI and cooked the steak. I flipped a bunch.  No idea the temp of the egg or the pan because I did it on the mini and the dome was wide open the whole time. 

analyze adapt overcome

• jonnymack
    Options
    My only critique is that I was not invited. Looks pretty awesome.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you go trex, 800 dome seems to work well with the regular ss grill, but for the cast iron i drop down to 650 or it gets overcharred for my likes. also just use salt for the searing stage(lots of salt as some falls off) and if you want a rub or pepper add it just after the sear for trexing, if you sear pepper with trexed steaks it can become bitter. i always shoot for color before finishing up the internal temp so trex works well for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    if you go trex, 800 dome seems to work well with the regular ss grill, but for the cast iron i drop down to 650 or it gets overcharred for my likes. also just use salt for the searing stage(lots of salt as some falls off) and if you want a rub or pepper add it just after the sear for trexing, if you sear pepper with trexed steaks it can become bitter. i always shoot for color before finishing up the internal temp so trex works well for me
    Great advice here.

I would add that using the CI pan on a gas range is a great way to do the forward sear as well. I have been doing more of my searing in CI on the range than on my eggs these days.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I agree with PSC. Where is mine?   Awesome cook. We are doing same thing for Christmas....
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    like others have said the cook look great, and the pictures great as well
    Cary NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll do a reverse sear or hot tub to 100 to 110 but we like rare.
    Options
    Your steaks look great.  But I would suggest dry brining the steak before you cook it.  Salt both sides pretty heavily and sit it on a rack for a couple of hours, or more, before cooking.
    Toronto ON
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    To get a more even brown crust, do not use a cast iron grate.  Go to a thin wire grate, a cast iron pan, or directly on the charcoal. 

I use a thin wire grate that is low to the coals (spider) or sometimes directly on the coals.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Reverse sear vote here also - 

Dry brine with salt

cook around 225-250 up to Internal temp of just over 100 degrees

Lower your grate as low as you can and get the coals to 700+ degrees

Sear it longer than 90 seconds per side, probably 120-150 seconds, this way you get a better char and the internal temp will still stay in the medium rare range.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    Reverse sear vote here also - 

Dry brine with salt

cook around 225-250 up to Internal temp of just over 100 degrees

Lower your grate as low as you can and get the coals to 700+ degrees

Sear it longer than 90 seconds per side, probably 120-150 seconds, this way you get a better char and the internal temp will still stay in the medium rare range.  
    I agree with @jak7028  I have done plenty of reverse sears with the same method described above.  Indirectly cook at 225-250 until about 110-115 and then get the egg fired up to 600-700 degrees and sear for 90 seconds a side. Your looks great my man!  Keep it up! 
  • Peytonwat
    Options
    Wow, those are impressive looking crusts. Thanks so much for the advise.