Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone recommendations

Options
My pizza stone cracked last week while cooking pizzas on the egg (cracked is being kind; it actually broke in half right down the middle).  It was a cheap stone I'd bought in combination with a pizza peel so not a huge loss.
  Anyone have recommendations for a stone that will hold up to the wear and tear of cooking on the Egg?  Is the Green Egg pizza stone good quality or should I look somewhere else?  Thanks
Roanoke, VA
Large BGE Owner

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have one from the Ceramic Grill Store. I has held up very well for the past 2 1/2 years. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I have one from the Ceramic Grill Store. I has held up very well for the past 2 1/2 years. 
    +1   Also cheaper than BGE stones.

However BGE stones hold up very well.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    The BGE pizza stones are thicker than most and hold up well.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ceramic Grill Store. I have 3 and all have held up great.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramic-pizza-stones/

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Look at the Baking steel for your egg. I love mine. http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/cq2n6tbhnx8rqgvyu690qm356agh0a
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    Options
    I used a ceramic cutting wheel to take the legs off my plate setter......that's my pizza stone.   I have a cast iron plate setter now.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @1WVU
    There are many good stones out there that will work just fine. With that said, the BGE stones are definitely some of the better ones in my opinion. I'm not a stone expert by any means, but the BGE stones are thicker than most others. Rather this is actually a plus or not, I like it. I have a few of the CGS stones as well. They have held up well so far. But as already mentioned, they are a tad thinner than the BGE stone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I have the Dough Joe http://www.amazon.com/Dough-Joe®-Pizza-Baking-Stone-Round/dp/B00BD9CC7Q. It is great .. however shipping is fairly high on this one :-(
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a 5/8" x 14" BGE stone for my Large. Also a pair of Old Stone Oven brand 1/2" x 8 1/2" stones from Amazon. Had them for about 6 years. All have handled 900° without issue. In fact, I once placed one of the (ambient temp) 8 1/2" stones directly onto the BGE stone in a 900° egg. No problem with it at all.

I also have a piece of 1/4" steel plate that I like better. A cutoff sold by a local metal dealer for $1/lb. Under $15 as I recall. Same steel (A36) as the baking steel linked above, but affordable. And, it's unbreakable! =) I've never used it in my egg as I never got around to cutting it to fit. It works very well in my oven though (Oven/Broiler method) and that's where I've been doing all of my pizza for the past 2+ years anyway (originally with the stone and lately, the steel).

If I needed another stone, I would definitely buy either of these again. The steel is my preferred tool now though. These were done in the oven on the steel...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I had a BGE stone for my medium.....it did the same as yours (shattered). My wife a potter tells me that stress cracks can form in any ceramic piece....and is just a fact of life. The good news is my local dealer replaced it with no problem....and I remain committed to it. May not be of any help to you.,...but that is my story.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 1WVU
    Options
    @Carolina Q those pizzas look amazing.  
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options

I have a 5/8" x 14" BGE stone for my Large. Also a pair of Old Stone Oven brand 1/2" x 8 1/2" stones from Amazon. Had them for about 6 years. All have handled 900° without issue. In fact, I once placed one of the (ambient temp) 8 1/2" stones directly onto the BGE stone in a 900° egg. No problem with it at all.

I also have a piece of 1/4" steel plate that I like better. A cutoff sold by a local metal dealer for $1/lb. Under $15 as I recall. Same steel (A36) as the baking steel linked above, but affordable. And, it's unbreakable! =) I've never used it in my egg as I never got around to cutting it to fit. It works very well in my oven though (Oven/Broiler method) and that's where I've been doing all of my pizza for the past 2+ years anyway (originally with the stone and lately, the steel).

If I needed another stone, I would definitely buy either of these again. The steel is my preferred tool now though. These were done in the oven on the steel...

I wouldn't use the baking steel in the egg at really high temps. It is fine in home oven temps but if used in your Egg at 600°+-ish it will burn the bottom of your crust before the rest of the pizza has cooked.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite. Both the BGE and CGS stones meet this.  If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I wouldn't use the baking steel in the egg at really high temps. It is fine in home oven temps but if used in your Egg at 600°+-ish it will burn the bottom of your crust before the rest of the pizza has cooked.
    My oven will get to 725°. =) Those pies were baked at 625° using the oven/broiler method. Turn on the oven and get it and the steel to temp. Then, turn the oven off and the broiler on. When it gets hot, launch the pie. Those two took just 2-3 minutes so you have to pay attention.

Haven't used a steel in the egg, but I have egged a few pies at 900° on a stone. No more of that!! You're right, at high temps, it's a challenge to cook the top without burning the bottom. With steel, it's probably even harder, if not impossible. The broiler is what makes it work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Carolina Q ,
    It can be done on a wide open egg in 3 to 5 min, depending on toppings

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I use and like the BGE stone. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    OE BGE stone on both my LBGE and MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use as pizza stone I bought at world market. We have been doing the za a couple times a week or more, and for $29.00 I am feeling pretty good about it so far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I use a cheap stone from world market.  It's coated it was about 25bucks, had it about a year now 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm from the buy cheap camp, secret is to do a few (maybe 10) cooks at <500º to further harden the stone. Mine was $10.99 for a 13" (Hamilton Beach) at the kitchen collection. It is four years old and has done a lot of pies (>300)   I'm sure it will be dropped before it breaks from heat. 
    Edit - it is also thin, 1/2", heats in about 15 minutes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    1WVU said:
    My pizza stone cracked last week while cooking pizzas on the egg (cracked is being kind; it actually broke in half right down the middle).  It was a cheap stone I'd bought in combination with a pizza peel so not a huge loss.
      Anyone have recommendations for a stone that will hold up to the wear and tear of cooking on the Egg?  Is the Green Egg pizza stone good quality or should I look somewhere else?  Thanks
    How much do you want to spend? What size? Try a kiln shelf. I have this for my XL works as well as the expen$ive ones. Shipping is not free, but well worth it.
    http://www.axner.com/cordieriteshelf-16roundx58.aspx

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have the BGE stone and like it a lot.  I first tried using a Pampered Chef and at 600*, it did not last long - cracked in about 5 minutes during the warm up. The PC and other thin style stones are only rated to about 450.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
     Highly recommended BGE XL stone and BGE deep dish stone.  Nice and thick and durable.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I have two BGE stones that have served me well. They have a three year warranty. I doubt other warranties are that good. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     BGE deep dish stone.  
    I have been wanting one of these myself. I think it would be perfect for black bird pie instead of the loaf pan I have been using. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    Options
    I have two BGE stones that have served me well. They have a three year warranty. I doubt other warranties are that good. 
    California Pizza Stones have a 100% satisfaction guarantee against cracks or thermal shocks and if it cracks for any reason they will replace it. They don't specify a time limit.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have a BGE stone for my XL. Works great, haven't used it in about a year, since I got my Blackstone pizza oven. Might have to cook some pizzas on my XL again just to remember what it's like.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 1WVU
    Options
    I decided on the BGE stone, purely because of convenience.  Just picked it up from the dealer and will hopefully use it this weekend.  Thanks fellas
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner