Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Bird on the BGE

Options
I'm smoking my first Turkey on the BGE tomorrow and have a few last minute questions.

Is it best to place your drip pan on the plate setter then the turkey in a rack on the grate or is it ok to place the drip pan on the grate with the rack and turkey directly in it?  Main reason I ask is I'm having a hard time finding a baster that will reach through the grates to the drip pan under the bird. Any tips?  How often do you baste while smoking?  My drip pan is about the same size as the turkey, is that going to be too small?  

Planning for a simple salt, pepper, and olive oil rub inside the skin and out. 

Any other tips are much appreciated!!!

Thanks!  

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not what you ask but may answer some questions. 
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• eggsurance_agent
    Options
    I don't think you need the grate at all if you have a vrack or basting pan
    LBGE
  • WarDamnRumrill
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe Mickey!  I may try that next time.  I'm going to try the whole bird tomorrow in the rack.
  • WarDamnRumrill
    Options
    Eggsurance, I was planning on using the grate as a platform to hold the rack about the roasting pan but just not in it. I was going to place the drip pan between the plate setter and grate. My difficulty was finding a skinny enough baster to reach to the plate setter through the grate. I could just place both on the grate with the rack inside the grate as you would in the oven put most tips/advice seem to say place drip pan between plate setter and grate (that the rack is sitting on).  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If if it will fit on the grate and have a lil air space between the bird and the dome you are fine setting everything on the grate that is on the PS.  I think the reason to go on the the PS is because the bird is so big it won't let the dome close.   If you forgo the grate just make sure you have an air gap between your PS and the drip pan.  This will keep the drippings from scorching.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WarDamnRumrill
    Options
    Awesome.  That makes sense.  Thanks Matt!