Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a Turkey and the Turkey Cheat Sheet

Options
soos
soos Posts: 1
I am planning to cook a second turkey in my BGE this year. I have found the Turkey Cheat Sheet and I have found it to be confusing. In a nut shell, it says to use a rub, smoke chips and a chicken broth, wine or water mix in a drip pan. My confusion starts with 1) If I use a rub, why would I use smoke chips? 2) If I use smoke chips, what is the broth mixture for in the drip pan?. Is it for basting? (It doesn't say.) Wouldn't it rinse off the rub? 

Comments

• UPCamper
    Options
    IMO, people don't put the turkey directly on the bottom of a roasting pan.  The broth mixture will boil slightly and not only adds moisture to egg while cooking but it allows for any dripping to not scorch when they hit the hot roasting pan.  Can use it for basting as well.

Rub and smoking chips serve two purposes.  Rub adds "flavor" to the skin or whatever it's touching.  Where chips could provide a smoke flavor or impart some flavor (depending on wood used) into the meat itself.  

The chips will get places in the fire pit so really have nothing to do with the broth mixture.