Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Shoulder & Overnight cook

Options
jeff9360
jeff9360 Posts: 11
Wanted to share info about my first pork shoulder & first overnight cook. 

Picked up an 8-9 lb shoulder. Went with a dry brine from this koren bby style pork shoulder ny times recipe.   Just kosher salt and sugar and let it sit for about 8 hours in a sealed pot in the fridge. 
I set up the egg. A lot of lump, plate setter, drip pan, and  got temp steady between 250-275 and added 2 chunks pecan and one cherry.    
I put the shoulder on at 1030pm and put in an igrill remote thermometer.  After an hour or two making sure the egg temperature was stable around 260, I went to sleep.  Was a little nervous about the over night cook and to make matters worse my wife wouldn't let me use one of our kid's baby monitors on the egg.  I woke up at 550am certain I would find my  either my egg out cold, or my deck was on fire, but everything was fine. The egg was chugging along still at 260-270 and I could smell that things were going well.   Temperature was about 164 at that time.  I decided to just let the shoulder cook till it hit 190 without intervening.   About 4 hours later it hit 184 and I took my first look.  See pics.     I pulled off about 30-45 min later, put a little beer on it, wrapped it in foil and tossed in a cooler for a few hours.  
I took it out of cooler and got it ready to rip apart. The fatty skin on the bottom just fell right off and the bones came right out. 
Then we served it the Korean BBQ style, as per the recipe, with KImchi, sticky rice, korean dumpling/bbq sauce, sriracha and lettuce wraps.  The next day, leftovers regular bbq style.  Very happy the way it turned out. 

Comments