Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Cookware in Egg?

Options
The largest CI DO I have is about 4 qts. However, I have a 12 qt SS stockpot and am wondering if I would ruin it if I use it in the egg. It's not a super-expensive one, but still, I don't want to trash it. Thick, layered bottom, thin walls.

Have never used any of my SS in the egg. Have you guys done it? Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I haven't used SS, but I've used other kitchen ware like Corning. If you oil inside and out, I'd think you could clean up easily. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No.  You won't ruin it unless you put it on direct and let it go nuclear.  You can soap up the outside, actually oil will work as long as it doesn't get too hot where it would polymerize into a seasoning, and it will clean up easier.  If you're unwilling to use a steel wool cleaning pad on it, I would not use it.
    If you are resigned to not using the pot in the kitchen again putting a layer of soot on it may help it heat up a little more evenly and quicker. Otherwise exactly what @nolaegghead said. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Cooked some seafood stew at Athens Eggfest in a very nice SS pot I borrowed.
    Soaking in warm soapy water cleaned it up but it took a little rubbing. Granted, cleaning supplies were very limited at the Fest. Most of what you see on the outside are reflections, not soot/grime.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I used my big stainless stock pot to make chili on the egg and I don't recall any issues at all. I didn't take any precautions and I think I spent more time scrubbing out the 'mater stains on the inside than I did cleaning the outside.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If it's stuff you care about, I would not do it.  Just get a set of cookware specific for your eggventures. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Love my stainless, but use it only inside. I have a dickens of a time cleaning aluminum sheet pans on the bottom even after foiling. I have mostly Lodge CI and Wolfgang Puck enameled CI. Recently, I have picked up a few pieces of Camp Chef CI and it is very nice. This is their 12 quart DO. http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-DO-14-Pre-Seasoned-12-Quart/dp/B0002YUNXS/  I don't have this one since I already had other similar sizes, but I did get this 8 quart square one and it is very nice. http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-DO13S-Square-8-Quart/dp/B009PIA54E/

Other than clean up issues, the thin wall construction would give me pause for long simmering if you didn't want to use the lid. Of course, I could be wrong. You might also want to check your pot's oven temp rating. Some are only good up to 350 degrees due to the lid.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It will discolor a little, or at least it did mine.  A little Bar Keepers Friend and it came off.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It has a brushed finish so I'm guessing it would be harder to clean. I'll probably just keep it in the kitchen and keep looking for a larger antique CI. Thanks everyone. 

Darian, nice stew!!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my ss turkey roasting pan works fine, thick layered bottom, one side is about 7 quarts for soups. theres a point when its clean, and another when its shiney clean again, im good with usable clean. if you dont want to dirty your pots and pans then dont use them =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The worst problem I've had is the cooked grease/dripping stains don't like to come off. Soaking and Oxy-clean works. Cleans up as well as anything else though. You just don't see it on CI.

Steve 

Caledon, ON