Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Christmas Presents OT

Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Check your list. I've been nice. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Most eggcellent work and advance planning right there.  Well done.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks great. Would you mind providing your recipes?
    I have an interest in this, but don't know where to start.
    There's probably 2.5 million recipes on the web, but it would be nice to have one that works.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Basic brine is, 2 cups water, 5 cups white vinigar, 5 tablespoons canning salt.  Heat gently until the salt goes into solution.  It will not come back out of solution.  Fill half the jar then 2 heaping tablespoons of chopped garlic, I tablespoon of mustard seed, two tablespoons of pickling spice, a shake of peppercorns, a couple of dried peri peri or some red pepper.  Fill the jar with whatever you are pickling.  Fill with cool brine.  Depending on what you are pickling several to many weeks to pickle.  Sliced onion a couple of weeks, whole onions six weeks, ditto with peppers.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Looks great Doc!  So when should I expect Brown Santa bringing this to me?
    Flint, Michigan
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Basic brine is, 2 cups water, 5 cups white vinigar, 5 tablespoons canning salt.  Heat gently until the salt goes into solution.  It will not come back out of solution.  Fill half the jar then 2 heaping tablespoons of chopped garlic, I tablespoon of mustard seed, two tablespoons of pickling spice, a shake of peppercorns, a couple of dried peri peri or some red pepper.  Fill the jar with whatever you are pickling.  Fill with cool brine.  Depending on what you are pickling several to many weeks to pickle.  Sliced onion a couple of weeks, whole onions six weeks, ditto with peppers.
    Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. I went to a Sysco food show a few weeks ago and they sent me a very large container of McCormick pickling spice. I was unsure of how to use it.

Do I need to refrigerate the jars during the pickling process?

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    GregW said:
    Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. I went to a Sysco food show a few weeks ago and they sent me a very large container of McCormick pickling spice. I was unsure of how to use it.

Do I need to refrigerate the jars during the pickling process?

The brine needs to be at least room temperature, you do not want to cook the veggies.  These are not preserved, they can be allowed to come to room temp and won't spoil right away, but they belong in the refrigerator.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have been bad, but at least I am honest.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's