Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer pricing

Options
feef706
feef706 Posts: 853
Looking for typical Briskett prices by you, nothing fancy, just cheapest you have found. 

Wal-mart is the cheapest I have found locally at $2.96 a pound, win-Dixie is the most expensive coming in at $8 a pound, not sure what they think they are selling though it is labeled angus.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    3.29/lb for prime packer at Costco

8.99/lb for angus (no grade I could find) at local specialty grocer.

Wally-World was around $4/lb for choice.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'm no butcher but I've never seen a full packer brisket under 10 pounds....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2015
    Options

That's what we have at our Costco.  Considering a packer has a long shelf life, I'd be up in arms about your local retailers gouging you.  Free market, right?

edit - I mention long shelf life because it's no big deal trucking brisket anywhere in the country.
    Options
    I'm no butcher but I've never seen a full packer brisket under 10 pounds....
    I'm used to hearing the smallest packers are 10-12 pounds, but it was labeled whole brisket and was in cryovac so assumed that's what it was
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Wow.  Do you have a RD in your neck of the woods?  $3.09 / lb for Angus packer here.

Phoenix 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    +1 on restaurant depot. Walmart locally does not have brisket. Not a Costco member. Too far away
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wally world is the lowest price.  Publix is pretty pricey and they will also label an untrimmed flat as "whole brisket".  

Sam's has Angus choice for a little over $3 a lb and will be my go to from now on.  RD is too far away from me.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• feef706
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt the only brisket I have seen at my SAMs are separated flats and they are $5ish a pound, I will have to ask about packers next time I go as they never have them on display.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Brisket is 5.99/lb at one butcher, I'm about to find out at another. No grocer nearby sells full packers. I don't shop at Satan-mart so I couldn't tell you what they might sell.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Just grabbed a 20-lber for 5.09/lb
  • feef706
    Options
    @EggcelsiorWow, well I only have so many $100 bills to throw around so I'm gonna try my luck with a $30 piece first
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    feef706 said:
    @EggcelsiorWow, well I only have so many $100 bills to throw around so I'm gonna try my luck with a $30 piece first
    I get it. I just don't have as many options here in Maryland. Plus, I'm always going to go to a local place first.
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I don't even look anywhere else now.  I just go straight to Costco.  $3.29/lb for prime.  I doubt anywhere else could come close to touching that.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    blasting said:

Wow.  Do you have a RD in your neck of the woods?  $3.09 / lb for Angus packer here.

I was just at RD (brand new in Fresno) what would be a comparable grade to RD's Angus beef.  The only thing they could tell me is that it was better than the commodity grade on the other end.  At that i hesitated to buy and Costco doesn't carry brisket here in CA.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    logchief said:
    blasting said:

I was just at RD (brand new in Fresno) what would be a comparable grade to RD's Angus beef.  The only thing they could tell me is that it was better than the commodity grade on the other end.  At that i hesitated to buy and Costco doesn't carry brisket here in CA.
    Angus, I have been told, usually grades top end of choice.

@blasting no RD near me.  Wish there was one.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - I am with you all the way about not shopping at Wally World.   A personal thing and fortunately I have other options.  Off soap box.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That Angus packer was my first ever brisket cook.  I screwed up several things in the cook, and it still came out unbelievable.  I've got to believe that was thanks to the brisket. I watched Aaron Franklin's YouTube channel.  The brisket didn't fall apart,  but almost.  It passed the pull test just like he demonstrated - again, I attribute this to the brisket.  It was unbelievable - best thing I've ever smoked.

Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @blasting- as you have just experienced, the quality of beef going in has a great influence on the outcome as long as you follow the basics.  Congrats on your results.  Now time for another lap ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    jimithing said:
    I don't even look anywhere else now.  I just go straight to Costco.  $3.29/lb for prime.  I doubt anywhere else could come close to touching that.
    If Costco in my state had that I would be all over it.  In GA they don't sell packers at Costco in any grade. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Costco in Chesterfield Co. only sell flats.....
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia