Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin Pie sans Can

Options
Tbent
Tbent Posts: 225
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
We picked up some pie pumpkins from our local farm co-op a couple weeks ago. Adapted a recipe that I found online and it turned out pretty well. Roasted the seeds on the egg as well and they were excellent. 

L, S, MM, Mini
Washington, IL

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great looking pie, but, man, there's no snacking better than roasted seeds!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Tbent
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I hadn't roasted seeds for years, but I won't wait long to do it again. Great snack with some beers. 
    Tossed them with some olive oil, kosher salt, and a little Dizzy Dust. 325 for about 45 minutes. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking pie!  Nice to see another central IL egger on here.  How did you find out about the forum?  Was it @Jeepster47

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Fine looking pie. My skills w. anything involving flour are embarrassing, so I really admire the crust.  I've been using pie pumpkins for pies most of the time for the last few years. Seem to me to taste better than canned, but I suppose that could be when you make the puree yourself, you expect it to be more wonderful.

Several decades ago I knew a fellow who planted 10 hills of acorn squash. Harvest was overwhelming. Fortunately, there was a gal who knew how to cook, and she mentioned that since they were just squash like pumpkins, she could make pies out of them. There were also 6 - 7 black walnut trees on the property, so I and a bunch of other folks were invited to a pie party. Huge mess shelling the walnuts, but in the end, everyone got a small acorn squash pie with a black walnut crumble on the top.
  • Tbent
    Options
    @saluki2007I bought my large egg from Lindys about four years ago and followed it up with a small from CL not long after. I found the forum right around the same time, and have probably visited most days since but have never posted. Pretty sure @Jeepster47 and I have never crossed paths, but you never know in the big city of Washington. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Tbent
    Options
    @gdenby I grew up with a mom who either ran or owned a bakery for the last thirty years. I don't make crust enough to be great at it, but it's not foreign. Thanks for the compliment. 
    I can't say I've ever heard of acorn squash pie. We've even had quite a few acorn squash from the same co-op that the pumpkins came from this year. Next time they're on the list I'll definitely use some for pie. 

L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice lookin' pie.  
    Good to see another Grillinoisan. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Tbent said:
    ... I bought my large egg from Lindys about four years ago and followed it up with a small from CL not long after. ... Pretty sure @Jeepster47 and I have never crossed paths, but you never know in the big city of Washington. 
    Last year one of the Lindy owners mentioned that they had sold 750 eggs in the four or so years they've been selling them.  Play with the numbers all you want, but the bottom line is that there are a lot of folks (our population is ~ 15,000) in our neck of the woods with eggs.  Since I've only met five owners, the odds are that we haven't crossed paths ... yet.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wow.......you used scratch! Beautiful!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  That's one helluva cook right there!  I've been wanting to this since last season. Nice work!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tbent
    Options
    Man, some good dudes here. Thanks guys. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Tbent
    Options
    @Jeepster47 there are certainly more of us than there were a few years ago. Of course I only think that because every time I've been in Lindys lately the damn Blues Hog Original spot on the shelves is empty. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Tbent ... Their inventory control seems to be "oh, there's a hole ... hmmm ... what did we have there again ... guess we better order some more!"  Of course, if you're like me you don't help the situation ... when the Tennessee Red is on the shelf, I stock up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Nice looking pie. And from scratch to boot!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset