Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overlapping Ribs in Foil

Options
bdub60
bdub60 Posts: 31
edited October 2015 in Pork
I'm smoking three racks of St. Louis ribs on my Large BGE right now.  I got them to fit on in the rib rack after some trimming and situating them just right but when I foil them and lay them down I don't think I'll have enough grid space.  Is it okay to stack them or overlap them?  Will it cause any issues with cook time, etc.?  
Guns Up! Roll Tide!

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you are talking about stacking them when they are in foil, I wouldn't think so.  You are basically braising them to make them tender.  If you are concerned you could rotate them during the cook if you are cooking them for an hour or so.  Try to put one in the middle and the other two on either side of it.  Good luck. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have the same issue and stack when I must, and try to limit the amount of overlap.  You should be fine and it won't hurt your time, I assume you are doing 3-2-1.  Worst case foil a little longer if you don't like their tenderness.

Side note:  Taking them out of the foil will help tighten them back up as well...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    I have the same issue and stack when I must, and try to limit the amount of overlap.  You should be fine and it won't hurt your time, I assume you are doing 3-2-1.  Worst case foil a little longer if you don't like their tenderness.

Side note:  Taking them out of the foil will help tighten them back up as well...
    I did this once and they were over done to me.  I either do 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 from a temp range from 225 to 275.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I don't even foil anymore. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada